Who decides which Cruise Ships can stop at St. Barths?

RSMMathews

SBH Insider
We've just returned from our 23rd visit to St. Barth and we were once again thrilled with the entire experience. The only drawback on this trip however was the arrival on March 13th of an 1800 passenger cruise ship, Celebrity Summit. I'd like to point out that this cruise was run by Atlantis, a Gay Travel Agency which charters cruise vessels and then resells them. I would also like to point out that as a gay man, I have no objection whatsoever to gay people. In fact, the crowd we saw was overwhelmingly pleasant and not the least bit offensive in any way. However, the operative word here is 'crowd'. Because the Atlantis voyageurs travelled with black and orange 'gym bags' they were as easy to spy as bees. In fact, I think that comparison is appropriate because hundreds of them swarmed the beaches, making Saline look like Coney Island. I really don't think that an island of 8000 people can absorb day trippers amounting to a 20 percent rise in population. I am increasingly concerned that whereas in prior years small ships carrying a maximum of 700 passengers are being usurped by ships with 1200 passengers (Marina of Oceanic Cruises). But 1800 really is pushing the limits in terms of capacity. I am actually very afraid that we will end up becoming a regular port of call for larger capacity ships. I can quite promise that this development will come at a huge cost in terms of tranquility, traffic and quality of life. St. Barth is, was and hopefully always will be known for its exclusivity, its privacy and its low key way of life. If we suddenly turn into St. Maarten, all that will be lost. Who exactly determines who can and cannot make cruise ship stops on our beloved island? And can we do something about it?
Sincerely, Monte Mathews

The day when the local Taxi drivers no longer salivate at the thought of 1800 potential fares coming ashore is the day when some control may be gained over the number and size of cruise ships visiting the island. Until that day comes, there will be days when a glimpse of the harbor gives me an excellent reason to enjoy lunch on the other side of the island.

The three weeks we were recently there most of the cruisers were of the less than 200 size, but there were a few of the big boys. Other than cruisers walking down the middle of the streets of Gustavia 5 abreast, I couldn't see much of a problem. Franck even remarked that he and the surrounding chic shops benefited from the smaller ships. Not so much from the larger ones. Apparently this has been a topic since at least the early 70s and Porter Henry's newsletter of January 1970 reported. I assume the ports receives some compensation and my wife opines that without cruisers Lou Lou would have closed long ago :)

Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 12.16.45 PM.jpg

Having seen cruisers buy $1000 worth of St Barth sweatshirts at Lou Lou's, plus the duffels to transport them home, I tend to agree with Susie. At the same time, the other half of that particular cruise party was inquiring about an island tour with a local taxi driver, determining that if it only took an hour then there must be nothing worth seeing, and that it was overpriced.

As JEK pointed out in another post, one of the big cruisers we saw in Phillipsburg on the flight over is here today. There is very heavy foot traffic in Gustavia, and the Taxi's are having a field day giving sightseeing tours. The roads are very slow going this afternoon.

I certainly understand the economics, but this is still a tiny Island and an extra 1800-2000 people make a big difference. As Churchill so famously said, " This may not be the beginning of the end, but it may very well be the end of the beginning".

IIWII.

Phil

Life and time are about change. Cruise ships are a fact of life. The merchants need the business as do the taxis, and other related businesses. Fortunately we have not experienced yet Gustavia or any beach being overpopulated. We do remember one beautiful spring morning, having breakfast outside over the water at The Gritti Palace. As we were looking across the water, we could not believe our eyes- an over 3000 capacity cruise ship sailed in to dock not too far from San Marco. The peacefulness quickly changed and the little lanes and canals quickly clogged up with packed gondolas and sightseeing crowds and guides. C'est la vie!

Who exactly determines who can and cannot make cruise ship stops on our beloved island? And can we do something about it?

The cruise ship companies determines the stops, I guess.
The cruise ships schedules are well known far in advance, and in public access
Avoid Gustavia on a crowded day, is quiet easy and is a good idea.
Wanting "to do something about it", seems (to me) a strange idea.

I agree that it seems like there are more ships than ever. This is our 8th trip and I don't remember seeing this many. We were at Saline on the morning of the 13th when the swarms in the orange gym bags kept coming and coming and coming. The far end of Saline was very packed.

Today the Oceania Riviera was in Dock (1250 passengers) as well as another somewhat smaller ship.

If no one controls this then what is to stop 10 ships anchored off of Gustavia?

Apparently there remains at least one place to take sanctuary from the cruise ship hoards on Saint-Barth. :cool:

1947536_10152281777163281_686948537_n.jpg

From Yannick Leupe's FB

Perhaps the OT will like to use this photo.

1920283_596935480391411_862282037_n.jpg

From Antoine Heckley's FB. Check out the couple on la plage dead center of runway.

Neat photo, Cassidian. I discovered sbh via a cruise ship visit. Were it not for that visit, I may never have found it and therefore missed all of the enjoyment we're had since then on the island. Probably not many cruisers come back as renters, but a few do like Dan and me.

Great photo! As for two idiots in the flight path, for some even a brick wall wouldn't keep them away. Some people are just that stupid....

Cruise ships have been here for a while. Here's le Mermoz. Launched in 1956, she was originally a liner transporting passengers from Marseille to Casablanca. Later, she was used to repatriate French troops from the war in Algeria. Subsequently, she was refitted and converted into a cruise ship (paquebot de croisière). In the 80's and 90's she made weekly stops in the harbor at Gustavia.

Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 8.32.41 PM.jpg

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS CRUISE CALENDAR. IT MAKES IT MUCH EASIER TO PLAN AROUND THE CRUISE SHIPS. LOOKS LIKE MARCH 2015 IS NOT GOING TO SEE THE ARRIVAL OF 1800 CRUISERS AT THE SAME TIME.

In the past we've discovered that lists of projected cruise ship arrivals in St. Barth have often been incomplete. Many days there are three ships anchored in the outer harbor, all disgorging their passengers simultaneously on the sidewalks and streets of St. Barth. NO, I'm not a fan.

P.S. Really cool photo, Cass:up:

In the past we've discovered that lists of projected cruise ship arrivals in St. Barth have often been incomplete. Many days there are three ships anchored in the outer harbor, all disgorging their passengers simultaneously on the sidewalks and streets of St. Barth. NO, I'm not a fan.

P.S. Really cool photo, Cass:up:

Thou doth protest too much, mom ami. When was the last time you were inconvenienced by a cruise ship or their passengers? I think all this bashing is just silliness.

I agree. Stay in your villa. Go to another beach. This island doesn't belong to us. How can anyone complain when cruise ships benefit the shop owners and restaurants that depend on their business.