Getting to St Barts from St Maarten via a private boat

Xanax, 2-3 beers, shot of rhum, patch and a valium or 2.

Then fly. Plenty of time to recover...

I have not used the ferry but I have heard from several people that even on days when it is not real rough many passengers get sick. I'm with Fred, drink a few Caribes and close your eyes for the 12 minute trip.

I have not used the ferry but I have heard from several people that even on days when it is not real rough many passengers get sick. I'm with Fred, drink a few Caribes and close your eyes for the 12 minute trip.

I'm sure Miker or Josh can clarify, but my understanding is that it's a much tougher trip SXM-SBH due to prevailing wind and wave conditions than it is the other way...

Kent.....I ve used the ferry a few times and I wouldnt say that is true....most of the times for me it was calm to slighty choppy...

I have sick people on my own commercial boat every day I go out regardless of flat calm or rough so I woudln't use that as a measuring stick anyway....

I agree they should fly as well but if they are dead set against that there is no sense in suggesting it and then the only other option is drugs and the boat

I'm sure Miker or Josh can clarify, but my understanding is that it's a much tougher trip SXM-SBH due to prevailing wind and wave conditions than it is the other way...

yes and no....the prevailing winds and seas put the waves portside and slightly off the bow when going from SXM to SBH which of course would mean starboard side and slightly astern going the other way which is a slightly better deal in terms of comfort....but as we know..winds and seas can change direction on any day..prevailing simply means "most of the time - but certainly not all of the time....

speaking of which..does anyone know if that ferry from the airport is actually happen?.I still havnet booked my return passage yet and will try it if its in service

My understanding is that Voyager does not yet have the proper permits to operate on the Dutch side. If the SXM Taxi Drivers get their way, Voyager will never get the permits. Time will tell...

yes and no....the prevailing winds and seas put the waves portside and slightly off the bow when going from SXM to SBH which of course would mean starboard side and slightly astern going the other way which is a slightly better deal in terms of comfort....but as we know..winds and seas can change direction on any day..prevailing simply means "most of the time - but certainly not all of the time....

Miker has it right. We experienced 7 foot seas max on our way to St. Martin and it was a comfortable motion. A large ferry should not be a problem. Just stay on deck and look at the horizon. Better yet, ask the captain if you can drive ;-)

The OP may have started this thread but is no longer interested. I think I'll start a thread on which way toilet paper should be hung. What say you? Unroll from the back or unroll from the front? I prefer the front.

We still have a couple of burning issues before we go starting new ones: 1. Name that flower. 2. Name that Hopper/Shopper.

Miker has it right. We experienced 7 foot seas max on our way to St. Martin and it was a comfortable motion. A large ferry should not be a problem. Just stay on deck and look at the horizon. Better yet, ask the captain if you can drive ;-)

The OP may have started this thread but is no longer interested. I think I'll start a thread on which way toilet paper should be hung. What say you? Unroll from the back or unroll from the front? I prefer the front.

should I check my bags..or do carryon???

and what about resto reservations...do I need them?..or not?

I have 8 minutes between landing in SXM and my flight over to SBH..is that enough time???

thanks for your help guys

i got my pills, wrist bands ( which i think work only if you believe it ) and a bottle of vodka, coming in tuesday via boat ( can't fly in for sure, out no problem )

see ya!

I get very seasick as well and we have used cigarette boats from st marten with no issues. It is very fast a bit bumpy but no seasickness!

Vlad, what time of year to you plan to travel? There are some months that are generally calmer than others.

Hi Tim, this is a very old thread but as someone contemplating the same crossing in a speedboat, I'm curious; what are the calmer times of year? Many thanks!

Another thought- fly into Puerto Rico. The 50 minute flight to the island from SJU is not as bumpy or ‘harrowing’ as from SXM. The round trip cost is $1000 or a little more depending on time of year and when you purchase.
You say you are super sensitive to waves. The ferry or private boat will most likely be miserable for you, even if you take dramamine etc.
Please let us know what you do and how it was.
Bon Voyage.