Sailing to Anguilla

JoshA

Senior Insider
To continue our sailing adventure, after a night on the boat in Grand Case, we woke up to this.

IMG_4310.JPG

"Chelsea Morning" was playing on the sound system from my iPod as though it were planned. Just off Grand Case, we moored to snorkel Creole Rock.

IMG_4319.JPG

Offshore, I recognized this container barge as the one that temporarily blocked our way into the Saint-Barth Yacht Club when we went sailing in a small boat.

IMG_4321.JPG

For some reason, I love the effect of this image.

GOPR0408.JPG

There was a decent amount of sea life.

GOPR0411.JPG

Not our best look but an underwater selfie nevertheless.

GOPR0416.JPG

Off to Anguilla, tonic drinks with Campari and vodka in hand, and Alain at the helm.

IMG_4329.JPG

Amazing beaches and water near the Great House and CuisinArt resorts and all over Anguilla.

GOPR0418.JPG

The chart shows where we came from and where we are going.

IMG_4349.JPG

Beach, sea, boat, and St. Martin.

GOPR0419.JPG

Bankie Banx, the musician, hangs out here.

GOPR0422.JPG

Line up of people, lounges, and rooms at CuisinArt along the beach.

GOPR0428.JPG

Ubaldo and Alain drink Ricard Pastis, usually. The licorice taste is not for me but Sante, Bonheur anyway.

GOPR0437.JPG

A couple of gybes and some more tonic drinks with Campari and Absolut, and we test the water for the swim to the beach at Cap Juluca

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

while Alain prepares lunch.

IMG_4369.JPG

Hellie is loving this.

IMG_4373.JPG

IMG_4374.JPG

Crab and avocado salad with a wonderful horseradish dressing was followed by grouper with lemon butter sauce for lunch.

IMG_4375.JPG

Instead of vanilla rum, we got "local coffee" made by one of Alain's relatives. Secret recipe with nutmeg, vanilla, and who knows. I would buy it if I could because it's so, so good.

IMG_4376.JPG

Here's what talcum powdery sand looks like on your wet feet when you walk on it.

GOPR0439.JPG

There was another amazing dessert for us - lemon meringue tart - after we swam back.

IMG_4377.JPG

We sailed around the west end of Anguilla and beat upwind to the east close hauled.

IMG_4385.JPG

Captain Josh took over

IMG_4387.JPG

ably assisted by first (and only) mate Hellie.

IMG_4391.JPG

We pulled into the anchorage at Road Bay before sunset.

IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

A nice dinner at Dolce Vita restaurant in Sandy Ground

20140301_215557.jpg

and listening to a band on the beach got us ready for bed.

Amazing...For any true beach lover who goes to SBH for the beaches if they ever saw AXA they would never go back

Two very different island destinations, Peter. We have done both. In fact, I spotted our room in the Cuisanart photo.

Different strokes, to each his own, etc etc and so forth!

Josh, great photos! Is that your first time to Anguilla? We missed you by a month! We stayed above Sandy Ground, did you get to Elvis' or the Pumphouse?? Peter is right about the beaches....but that's why it's so great that each island has it's own appeal and distinctions.

Totally agree Amy..You have to factor in food and safety and beautiful scenery which is why SBH has such diehards..I am talking strictly beach lovers/beach bums..Anguilla is hard to beat beaches/music

Kevin, Linda and Peter: That was my second time with feet on the ground but I never stayed on the ground overnight in Anguilla. Really amazing beaches and clear water defines the place for me. Also, good music everywhere, day and night right on the beach. I loved the band we heard in Sandy Ground but didn't pay attention to the name. Maybe at Dad's beach bar?

Amy: The CuisinArt looks great. There is a less luxe but beautifully located resort next door in the Great House. Anyone know the place?

IMG_4347.JPG

Kevin et. al.: The sunset that night was so memorable. It changed every few seconds and deserves another look.

IMG_4417.JPG

I have a movie of a flash at this sunset but it doesn't look too green to me.

Sorry, I must have missed it somewhere, but , did you charter? With a captain? Multiple days?

Martin: We chartered for a 3 day feet-up sail with a captain and cook. Best way to get to SXM IMHO.

Rosemary: I saw Johnno's in Sandy Ground near Dad's bar.

Yes, wonderful beaches for sure. Love Shoal Bay and had great times at Uncle Ernie's and chatting with Pressure King, rest his soul. A very nice friendly island and yes, good music everywhere. Is Spraka still performing?

Yes, Josh.....Dad's is a new place on Sandy Ground.....we actually ate there twice, great snapper and rum punches.....we saw a bartender from St Barths that we recognized , and talked with him and his girlfriend, they were there for the weekend. Great little spot to add to the list of fun places there!

Those waters are SO clear...beautiful. Looks like your crew was excellent as well....the food looks superb and plentiful

Josh, thank you for sharing your vacation with us. We still have 4 months to go before we get to SBH. Can you tell me who your charter was with? My wife is not a sailor but I think she would go for that.

We chartered with http://www.sxmstmartincatamarancharters.net/ which is a well-reviewed day charter company in St. Martin. We asked them if they could do this special trip. It was a great decision. The 46 foot catamaran has four cabins so there is room for 4 couples to share costs. It was great to be waited on hand and foot as the only guests. They still let us sail the boat if we wanted to. It was a perfect ending to our extended vacation. Except for it not quite being the end.

You can also charter a bareboat in St. Martin through Moorings and others if you are a sailor.