A Nice Day On The Reef, Part III

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
Today’s entry should really be called “A Nice Day On The Wreck.” This is because Wednesday was a day to see trumpetfish, pufferfish, a turtle, and a beautiful sea anemone, among other interesting sealife, while visiting thewreck of the Dakar. The Dakar sits upright in 50 feet of water just outside Gustavia harbor. As with the Marignan that I visited last year, the wreck sits in the regular harbor traffic lanes, which means that dive boats must anchor in a protected area, divers then submerge to depth and swim underwater until they reach the wreck. Divers must return the same way without surfacing in an area where they might be struck by a motorcraft. The wreck attracts thousands of fish and one large barracuda lorded over the wheelhouse when I was there. Did he eat the captain?

sb0814 072.jpg

sb0814 015.jpg

sb0814 028.jpg

sb0814 044.jpg

sb0814 046.jpg

sb0814 060.jpg

sb0814 094.jpg

sb0814 096.jpg

sb0814 124.jpg

sb0814 130.jpg

sb0814 146.jpg

Once again beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed meeting and chatting with you last night.

Great stuff.

yeah, I'm curious about the Lionfish too...Bertrand was told to stop spearing them within the MP because he had no permit. Bureaucrats.

Saw him get 6-8 a dive last year....

What camera (in the simplest imaginable terms) do you use? Is there such a thing as a waterproof point and shoot?

Fabulous photos!!! So clear and such beutiful colors. Hard to top Mother Nature. Thanks!

Fred, I'm actually using a waterproof point and shoot camera...the Panasonic Lumix. It is waterproof to 33 feet...fine for snorkeling. For diving I put it in its deep water housing,

Fred, I'm actually using a waterproof point and shoot camera...the Panasonic Lumix. It is waterproof to 33 feet...fine for snorkeling. For diving I put it in its deep water housing,

I've been tempted...(there are posters here that used to shoot with what, Gram? FOUR strobes??!!)

The bottom line is that I'm a crummy photographer on land. I don't see my skills improving underwater...LOL

I have, however, dived the Great South Bay...

oh dear, here we go again, we eat them all (not lion fish though, have not seen one at the market or on a menu here yet), you can trust your local fisherman to not poison you... we just had a lovely dinner with "poison de roche" the other night, and am still here to tell the tale... here are some nice ones we made a home a while back, they didn't make us sick either :)
redfish.jpg