American Kestrel

JEK

Senior Insider
I've seen him around all week. The hard part was getting him to land on the railing.

JK8_0143.jpg

JK8_0145.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 4.29.10 PM.jpg

Heavens to Betsy! I have tried ever so hard to get one to stay put for a shot! Well done! You are doing great, "ornithologically" speaking...

I thought he was a dove -- same size! I was able to grab the camera and get within 20 feet of him. Just blind luck.

I thought he was a dove -- same size! I was able to grab the camera and get within 20 feet of him. Just blind luck.

Compare the size of the heads. One of my birder friends always calls doves (mourning doves in this case) "pinheads" because the head is so small compared to the body vs. a Kestral or Merlin. If you start noticing that detail you can tell a dove from a small falcon from a long way off...........then you run and get your camera!

Bart-when we ride around I have 3 spots for finding the North American Kestrel-by Petite Colombe in Colombier, on the hill down from Santa Fe to Saline, and by the lookout marker in Colombier. I sight the birds, but either we zip by or they take off from the poles they perch on. I will give it a go again on our next trip. But then again, I can just look at these in awe.

Bart-when we ride around I have 3 spots for finding the North American Kestrel-by Petite Colombe in Colombier, on the hill down from Santa Fe to Saline, and by the lookout marker in Colombier. I sight the birds, but either we zip by or they take off from the poles they perch on. I will give it a go again on our next trip. But then again, I can just look at these in awe.

We saw also them reliably at Saline and Colombier. Those falcons like wide open spaces like beaches (or the tundra!)