Dinner with Manu

JEK

Senior Insider
We thought Lurin to be a place far from the maddening Carnaval crowds so we booked at table at Santa Fe. By 7:30 the Carnaval seemed to be winding down -- never happens when The Hideaway is setting the standard -- so up we went. Talked about Adam at Le Sapotillier and all the other great front-persons of dinning in the island -- Albert, Andy, Julien, Bernard, Eddy, Franck, Randy & Maya. Now Manu is there with them earning his spurs by putting in the time in all phases of the business. Makes one wonder if another generation of restaurateurs will step up over time to learn the trade from the bottom up.

One sterling example is Eddy's son Mahé who seems to be taking to the business.

Our meals were delicious and inspired. Seared foie gras, coq au vin, tuna tartare and Dover Sole. Manu shared that JGV even comes to enjoy his true French cuisine.

While the daytime views of the island are spectacular, the lights on the horizon and gentle breezes were captivating at night. The newish sidewalks make parking a snap.

Make sure it is in your rotation.

You have me counting the days, John. Nice write up of the current restaurant scene.

'Fraid I'm with UES on this one.
Us too......but I still like to read the reviews. Things change....... Aside from the absolutely perfect company, Sand Bar, (for example), was the worst meal ever on isle......we will try it again, though!

had dinner at Eden Rock last night... it was awful.... really for what they charge they should be ashamed.... anyway c'est la vie et on continue....

Several years ago, for the Carnaval parade, we could not find a parking space anywhere and of course the streets in Gustavia were shut down. We ended up parking at the top of the hill, right next to Santa Fe and walked down. I earned brownie points as I dropped my wife and our guests off and picked them up after the parade so it was only moi who made the trek up and down. It was hot and humid that day and it was a race back to the Villa for a cool dip and Mojitos!

Several years ago, for the Carnaval parade, we could not find a parking space anywhere and of course the streets in Gustavia were shut down. We ended up parking at the top of the hill, right next to Santa Fe and walked down. I earned brownie points as I dropped my wife and our guests off and picked them up after the parade so it was only moi who made the trek up and down. It was hot and humid that day and it was a race back to the Villa for a cool dip and Mojitos!

Now that is true dedication! There were a few parked up beyond the remains of the CG, but that was about it. I negotiated a spot right in Marius's yard!

JEK and I have very different travel and dining tastes. I have forever been telling people that the only time to NOT visit St Barth is during Carnaval (day drunken loitering, crowds, hot, loud etc). I would have capped the day off very far away, namely a villa dinner with my love. But, the world is still turning and to each his own.

After marching in it with a troupe for years I still enjoy it from the sidelines. Very family friendly. The day to avoid: Tuesday, February 17, 2015.

with this and every other site as well, there are so many vastly different levels of expectation and standards of what is considered bad/good/excellent in play here, as well as the hidden agenda at work with these trip/dining and whatever else reports, it is almost impossible to decipher what is and what is not real or relevant to the reader...

which is why I give very little weight to anything I read in regards to the vacation experience in any blog/forum..I read it purely for entertainment value......because at the end of the day I am going to do what I want to do and roll the dice on unknown things that I think may be a good experience or not....not what a total stranger, or at best a casual acquaintance tells me via the written word on an internet blog whats good or bad

but thats me

YMMV

I think it is great that so many voices here share their on island experiences-whether they choose to share good or bad, positive or negative comments. When commenting is done in a civil manner, we all can benefit

What Amy said...take it or leave it, it's good to read here all the different opinions and experiences.

That was a warning for the Carnaval adverse. I know you will have a very special Mardi Gras that day!

Well, we have been talking about a trip to coincide with the "Big Day" and about another trip for Carnaval. Two birds....I think its a MUST DO!

Great post, John . . . Manu and I recently had a similar conversation. The island is changing, as we know . . . not a bad thing, but apart from Mahe (at Eddy's) and Sandra (at La Gloriette), I'm not sure who might be a "bridge" between the restaurants of St. Barths that you name and the future.