Thread: Key West and Vanilla Rhum ?

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2010 Indiana Posts: 230

Key West and Vanilla Rhum ?

My wife and I are headed to Key West for a long weekend (carry on only) to get away from this brutal Indiana winter, and want to enjoy some vanilla rhum while there. So, since we are carry on only and I can't simply take one 3 oz shot with me in my carry on bag (3-2-1 rule), does anyone know of any local key west liquor stores that may sell vanilla rhum, OR is my best bet to simply fed ex or UPS to my hotel a small box with a bottle in it?

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,669
    You can take as many 3 oz. sips that will fit in a one quart bag. Buy toothpaste and shampoo there :)
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,669
    Actually 3 1 1 and the 3 is 3.4 ounces or 100ml

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume); 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,562
    Quote Originally Posted by leep75 View Post
    My wife and I are headed to Key West for a long weekend (carry on only) to get away from this brutal Indiana winter, and want to enjoy some vanilla rhum while there. So, since we are carry on only and I can't simply take one 3 oz shot with me in my carry on bag (3-2-1 rule), does anyone know of any local key west liquor stores that may sell vanilla rhum, OR is my best bet to simply fed ex or UPS to my hotel a small box with a bottle in it?
    Pretty easy to make your own short recipe

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Pretty easy to make your own short recipe
    exactly.....
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2010 Indiana Posts: 230
    I'm not aware of a short recipe, only the "long" one where you have to let it sit for a few weeks. Can one of you post it here please?

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,562
    Quote Originally Posted by leep75 View Post
    I'm not aware of a short recipe, only the "long" one where you have to let it sit for a few weeks. Can one of you post it here please?

Short Method as per Andy from the Hideaway:

2 parts sugar cane syrup or simple syrup
    1 part vanilla extract
    5 parts Mount Gay Rum
    2 parts Myers Dark Rum

Andy