Montserrat trip report

Your friends place in Antigua looks like it's situated overlooking Deep Bay near the Grand Royal Antiguan Hotel.
The cruise ship is leaving St. John's, Antigua, not Montserrat.

A really great report, Martin! Your description of Antigua "customs / immigration" make SXM sound like a piece of cake. Did you get any sense of crime / safety on the island?

Everyone that I asked about the crime on Montserrat said there is very little problems at all.....

Antigua, whole other story... My friends place is located behind a gate, that has a security guard 24/7....

Awesome pics and story telling, Martin. I have a friend who used to live on Montserrat. Looks like you and Lisa are living the sweet life, good for you.

...Was thinking about Saba next year, but Martin's little excursion has me doing some research....Martin, stop in when you have time.....Ron

Martin
i just discovered your post now.Pat and I discovered Montserrat in the early '80's ,and it was wonderful.From the top of the volcano,where you could actually go,to Air Studios( I still have the tee shirt- which I don't wear,because it's irreplaceable!),to our villa we rented,where the guest book was signed by many of the" rock intelligentsia " who had been recording down the hill at George Martin's
when you're here in June,let's talk about it at the office.

Just found this post also. I was with a team of amateur (ham) radio operators who went to Montserrat in 1993. We didn't realize how dangerous the volcano actually was at the time. We walked up on the volcano at a place called "Galway's Soufriere." The capital Plymouth was a lovely town with an overlook that had the remains of a fortress called St. George's. It was a beautiful island. It's nice to see photos of it once again. The photo shows our ham operator team and a local ham operator who was our guide at St. George's Fort during our visit. Montserrat 001.jpg

Our family rented a great villa in 1995 at Christmas. Still remember the group who came by singing Christmas Carol's as they walked the streets. We attending midnight-mass at the lovely Church downtown, now buried. My wife and I climbed to the top of the volcano also, ahhh the sulphur smell still lingers in my mind. Oh, those were the days. NO crime at all, what a sleepy beautiful island. Makes me long to return. A professor from the university personally lead us to the best snorkeling on the island, wow, it was grand! Thanks for sharing all your pics :)

Your guide may have been our villa owner,, they still host the Ham's each year and have a monster crank up antenna for them at the villa we stayed at...

One of the best trip reports posted here in recent times! If you are not, you should do these trips and reviews as a living!
RIP George Martin- Strawberry Fields Forever!