• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Dinner at L'Esprit

andynap

Senior Insider
We had a nice dinner at L'Esprit on 1/31 but it wasn't anything special. It wasn't crowded at 7:30 and we were promptly seated out in the open. Just like last year it started to rain immediately and we moved inside. Service was very good. Wine was good- a chardonnay for Phyl and a rosé for me. The menu was very interesting and I ordered a roasted Veal tenderloin- don't see that often in restaurants. I wasn't asked how I like it- rare I would have said. Anyway it came out medium rare which was fine except it was dry. The sides included a mushroom ravioli and nice vegetables. Phyllis had a mahi-mahi that was OK. She objected to the appetizers that were 30 euros and up. After last year's dinner I expected more.

P1000707.jpg

Hmmm. It would never occur to me to expect an after-dinner rhum arrangé offert at a place like a J-CD or a Le Gaïac or a L'Isola etc. Maybe I'm wrong though???
In my experience veal is generally cooked a little more well done than beef, i.e. medium rare rather than rare. I had the same dish and wasn't asked la cuisson either. I assume that's the way J-C thinks is proper. Mine was also medium rare, which I considered to be correct even though I order beef steaks saignant. Finally, it is an expensive place to eat. I think our bill was 240-ish euros. It's pricy for a "go to place"...

Edit: come to think of it, we were offered a Sardinian digestif at L'Isola. from the myrtle plant. Mirto. Very interesting.

looking at the portion size there I would for sure have to go eat something after dinner......

unless I am missing something there - it looks miniscule

I didn't complain about the size because normally the tenderloin isn't that big. It just wasn't what I had last year in terms of great food.

even given that....not enough.....I dont eat a lot, but I sure as heck need more than that to not be hungry afterwards

That's why God invented three courses and a bottle of whine :)
:up:

I have to to agree that it does take a change in dining perspective to get accustomed to the 3-4-5 course meal. My 18 course meal at Eleven Madison Park was beyond description. But I was prepared. Tom would have hated it, because he expects the meal to "arrive" at once.... Which I also love (that's why we made it :>)

But a meal that is prepared and served over several hours...... Yum, for many reasons!!!

I get that ...so then price it accordingly.......although I have to admit...for the resto its a great business model.....:eagerness:

sorry but there is small portions..and there is paltry....that was the latter

one piece of zuccinni??..one piece of carrot???..really?????

You forgot the piece of asparagus. It seems those portions are becoming standard- I've had such about 4 times already. So the restaurant wants you to have 3 courses and the apps are priced out of this world. I'm not biting- literally.