• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Dinner at Ocean

andynap

Senior Insider
We were not there for B4 but the rooms are quite nice- all white, beautiful table settings and, of course, a great view of Eddy's -LOL. We had a 7:30 reservation and there were only 4 people seated. They gave us the two by the window with a nice breeze. The waitstaff consisted of 2 lovely young ladies and if anyone previously noted poor service its because they only have 2 servers and when it gets crowded they are overwhelmed.
The menu is limited but a nice mix of fish and meats. They were out of a lot of things- Phyllis noted they were out of more things than they had. But the substitutions were just fine. Because of our rather late lunch at Au Regal, we did not order first courses. Amuse bouche was a cream of asparagus. Phyllis had the Lobster salad appetizer and pronounced it very good. I had the gambas in a pink blush sauce over tagliatelles- the shrimp was cooked perfectly and the pasta was al dente. With 2 drinks the fare was 78 euros. We would go back again.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 513
Looks and sounds delicious!!! I'm sorry we didn't make it there in November. We cooked and ate in at the villa more than ever before....Tom recapped our dining expenses, and I got an A + :cool: I feel like we just never made it into Gustavia----sheesh, and we were there nearly 3 weeks! Next time, for sure!

We were not there for B4 but the rooms are quite nice- all white, beautiful table settings and, of course, a great view of Eddy's -LOL. We had a 7:30 reservation and there were only 4 people seated. They gave us the two by the window with a nice breeze. The waitstaff consisted of 2 lovely young ladies and if anyone previously noted poor service its because they only have 2 servers and when it gets crowded they are overwhelmed.
The menu is limited but a nice mix of fish and meats. They were out of a lot of things- Phyllis noted they were out of more things than they had. But the substitutions were just fine. Because of our rather late lunch at Au Regal, we did not order first courses. Amuse bouche was a cream of asparagus. Phyllis had the Lobster salad appetizer and pronounced it very good. I had the gambas in a pink blush sauce over tagliatelles- the shrimp was cooked perfectly and the pasta was al dente. With 2 drinks the fare was 78 euros. We would go back again.
View attachment 22591

looks good andy. I think this is one restaurant that might actually "make it" in this location.

Damned by faint praise?

Well it was a Saturday night and we were almost the first there and they were out of the fish, the crayfish and the chicken. Yo! We were never asked about more wine. When we left it was crowded and I couldn't get the check for a long time. They need more help that's all.

Well it was a Saturday night and we were almost the first there and they were out of the fish, the crayfish and the chicken. Yo! We were never asked about more wine. When we left it was crowded and I couldn't get the check for a long time. They need more help that's all.

We had a similar experience last month with nonavailability of menu items. I was hoping to order the ouasous, but they ran out before we ordered - our reservation was at 7:30 and another diner was enjoying them when we arrived…I suppose that they have menu items that they "hope" to serve every night, but actually only do based on availability. I took that to be a good sign - they're only serving what they've received that's fresh, but it's very curious that they were "out of" chicken...

Looks and sounds delicious!!! I'm sorry we didn't make it there in November. We cooked and ate in at the villa more than ever before....Tom recapped our dining expenses, and I got an A + :cool: I feel like we just never made it into Gustavia----sheesh, and we were there nearly 3 weeks! Next time, for sure!

Which is exactly why we started staying at the Sunset for a few nights. We went decades without going into town.

Hmm. "Out of" a lot of things on a big dine-out night. That does not bode well. I wonder if there's a cashflow problem.

On our first visit they were out of the scallops and Jim was disappointed. On our last night we decided to make that the one restaurant we visited twice this trip....but checked to make sure they had the scallops. They did and we were both pleased with our meals. Also , the first night someone brought in a cooler with two huge fish...a tuna and, I think, a swordfish...so I guess the fish the next day was fresh.

We told the waiter it was our second visit and he insisted on bringing the chef, Benoit, out to meet us. We told him we would be back next year and he seemed quite pleased. Am worried for them if they can't offer the items promised on the menu. And service could easily be corrected by hiring someone else. Wishing them good luck.

it definetly wasnt a swordfish ..there isnt a swordfish within a thousand miles of SBH....and you know the scallops are wet scallops frozen and cryovaced......right????.if you do....and you re ok with that....thats fine and to each his own, different strokes etc and so on....but if you dont.....well..fill in the blank