• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

New to Being One with Nature

Peter&Sue

My wife and I own an annual week on St Martin, but also loved St. Barts when we spent a few days there two years ago. One of us ... perhaps both ... would like to experience beaching au natural when we are down again in a couple of weeks, but we would prefer the relative calm and beauty of Saline (which we have visited) or Goveneur (which we have not) to the chaos of Orient Beach Club on St. Martin, so we're planning at least a day trip over to St. Barts. Does anyone have advice as to which beach, which end, etc., might be best for one eager and one hesitant newbie to nude beaching?

Gouverneur - Turn right and go to the far end.

Saline - Either end will probably accomodate your wishes.

On both beaches, take your cue on what the others are or are not wearing before stripping in a given area. Nude bathing is officially against the law on St. Barth, but I've never seen it enforced.

Tim makes a good point to take your cue from those around you. It's not Hedonism on St Barth, the nudity you encounter is (for the most part...) very discreet.

Thank you to those who have chimed in with advice. "Discreet Nudity" perfectly describes what we are seeking to experience - an opportunity to simply enjoy the feel of the sun, the surf, the breeze free of those last vestiges of fabric and elastic, and also free of our own traditional "privacy inhibitions" without making a big deal of it. St. Barth is a beautiful, relaxed, friendly place, and this forum and others include a number of references from long-timers about the pleasures of returning to a "Garden-of-Eden" experience (love that metaphor). We just want to do it right - for ourselves and for others - and we look forward to the time when we might also be among those who love returning to such a natural state of being each year.

I agree on Gouverneur and Saline. Note that Saline used to have a "straight" end and a "gay" end, but it changed a couple of years. Anyway, nobody really cares. Do think about putting sun lotion all over ;-)