• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Two Lost Dogs on Grand Fond Hike

agraham

SBH Member
My husband and I were hiking to the natural pools today and on our way back, we happened upon two dogs. They were wearing electronic collars and both were extremely emaciated, dehydrated and hungry. Initially, they were also quite defensive. They had clearly been out there for some time based on how very thin they were. We earned their trust with some "jambon" sandwiches graciously offered by some fellow hikers and gave them all of our water. We then fashioned some leashes out of my husband's shoe laces and lead them back down the cliffs to the beach...after much coaxing!

At the entrance to Grand Fond, we ran into a very nice young couple that was from St. Barths. They said they would take the dogs for help since their car was right at the entrance. We gave them our email and asked them to let us know where the dogs were dropped off.

We have since been to both vets and called the police station and no one has seen the dogs. One of the vets indicated that the electronic collars were quite expensive and someone was surely missing them.

The couple we gave them to drove a lime green small SUV. I have included pictures of the dogs right when we found them and once we got them in the car. They appear much happier once in the car, I think because they seemed to know that someone was there to help them.

Does anyone happen to recognize these dogs or know their owners? We will update as to their location if we hear from the couple who took them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 506
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 505
Good news! The St. Barths couple that took the dogs just emailed and one of the vets knew them. Apparently this is not the first time they have pulled this stunt. They did not tell us how long they had been missing, but we're happy to know they are back with their owners.

We happened to be on that same hike and met the grahams both at the pools and on the trail with the dogs. agraham's very nice husband was giving one of them water. I took these photos for aid in identification.

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

It sounds like it will end well thanks to their efforts.

Super great job agrahams!! (sure hope the owners can figure out how to keep tabs on these intrepid pups)

What a wonderful thing you did for those two dogs! That one looks particularly thin...I'm so glad this had a happy ending. Bravo for going above and beyond.