• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

It continues to be a great time

cec1

Senior Insider
. . . so, without wasting your time with too much information, I'll simply write that the incredibly FINE weather continues. For Wendy and me -- spending so much of our time, as we do, on "maintenance" & management issues as property owners -- it's one of the most memorable reminiscences since Easter 1978, when we first visited SBH.

Truly breathtaking weather . . . with, of course, vast views that are supported by clear air, sunshine, and blue skies (an occasional passing cloud to add perspective to the infinite space around us).

As Amy & Phil have written, it was a magnificent luncheon with them at The Wall House Restaurant yesterday. For those of you who know Amy and Phil, you'll understand the difficulty in coaxing conversation from them. :) On the other hand, they're the walking & talking Zagat guide to SBH. So, we found great conversation between shared frites and desserts! (with a wee bit of "vin.")

On my way home, how could I resist a stop to see Manu at Santa Fe? It turned out to be one of those serendipitous moments in which I became engaged in a long conversation with Fabrizio Bianconi of L'Isola and his chef and his major assistant (what's the Italian title?). While I've always found L'Isola to be wonderful, it's also -- as I explained to Fabrizio -- a bit intimidating in its success. He laughed with charm and told me to come another time with a smile . . . that the restaurant welcomes smiling guests. I like the concept.

As chance would have it, Fabrizio briefly joined me at lunch today at La Gloriette, while I ate with a very long time friend (since 1983) and his companion. Another fabulous day. The subject long time friend and I met when he had a boutique in St. Jean, just around the corner from the Hideaway. I was invited to dinner that evening with him and entourage, after which we whiled away the night at Autour du Rocher . . . an evening spent, in some significant part, with Rudolf Nureyev. Needless to say, a breathtaking night of extraordinary dance and energy fueled by condiments never previously known to my modest experience. Aaaah . . . what a pleasure to have known such times!

Between lunches of yesterday and today, Wendy and I hosted a lovely dinner at the villa for some local friends. A clear sky . . . moon on the horizon . . . stars so close you would think that you could grab one. Edit Piaf wafting through the hillside. The evening went 'til well past midnight, with great laughter and affection shared amongst friends. At the end of the evening, apart from an admonition about my prodigious wine consumption, the evening memories also were an indelible reminder of special times enjoyed "at home" -- as Wendy said, in tribute, it was "a Maya's evening!" (A special treat for me.)

I have the great fortune of coming to SBH with some regularity. With various obligations, it's unfortunately not always relaxing. This trip, however . . . I think it's a winner. I'm reminded of an old Beach Boys song . . . "ain't it be nice . . .." So far, it's as good as it gets!

Dennis, a certain term comes to mind!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 550
This makes me smile. I can only imagine how you and Wendy must need this bliss at this time. May the chill continue, mon ami!

Pretty wonderful. A long time ago someone very wise said to me, "It's not things that make you happy, it's people." So true. Looks like you've enjoyed lots of great friends and good times in SBH over the years. May it continue . . . . Thanks for the report!