• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Trip #11

ccg

SBH Insider
Trip #11 - December 6 - 14
2013 was an amazing long 365 days and needed SBH like never before! Beginning in June, the hospital completed its conversion to electronic record keeping; I had no idea life as a nurse could be so damn difficult. I didn’t even have time to lurk. **If your local physicians or medical centers are making the switch, PLEASE be patient.** I started my count down as soon as the conversion started, so I was so glad to see December 6[SUP]th[/SUP] finally show up on the calendar!
Great trip from Charlotte until we landed in SXM. I have not seen rain like that in a very long time; all flights were delayed leaving SXM. We met up with Bart and his wife for rum punches at the new airport bar until we left on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] SBC off the island, 1.5 hours later. As we landed, the ever popular smile appeared on all of our faces. I know you all know that look.
We were greeted by our host, Ernest, and shown to our villa. We stayed at Villa Sud Ouest and absolutely loved it! Great location and view, pictures on the web are very accurate. It was a perfect villa for us. Loved watching the boats come and go. We especially enjoyed watching the little sailboats race and it gave you a good idea just how large Roman’s boat, Luna, is. Luna was in cove below the villa all week. The only drawback with the villa was that there was housing construction that started promptly at 7am just below us. Bill is an early riser, so it didn’t seem to bother him, I on the other hand would have preferred to sleep a little longer. Being high on the hill really gave us great breezes and the first couple of days it was even chilly. I use that word lightly this week; I will take my chilly SBH breeze in the hammock for what we are all going through right now.
Beaches were great! One morning we even Gouverneur all to ourselves for about 30 minutes. It was so peaceful being there all by ourselves with the 2 brown pelicans for company. On our last day Roman even had his “beach boys” grade the whole beach. Perfect sand for the last day. We took the late flight on the island so we were able to get a whole extra morning at the beach. I really loved that.
Food was delicious! We tried some new places; Le Vietnam, Meat & Potatoes, L’Espirit, La Table de Jules and some of our favorites; The Hideaway; La Grain de Sel; Nikki’s Beach; Le Repaire; and Santa Fe. Coffee and croissants every morning either at Maya’s to Go or Petite Colombre in Columbier. I hate making coffee now that we are back. It just doesn’t taste the same. **Kevin, thank you for keeping the restaurant list up to date. It really comes in handy. ** Bill and I agreed that La Grain de Sel was our favorite meal. Food was fantastic and really what we needed after a long morning at Saline. Our meal at Vietnam was probably the least impressive. Both dishes tasted the same. This was too bad because one was supposed to be spicy. The most entertaining meal was Nikki’s Beach on Sunday for brunch. Somewhere in the world of iphones, there is video of an oncology nurse table top dancing! We arrived at 1 and left at 5:30! It was a perfect day! I know we ate something but it was really about the atmosphere that day. As always Santa Fe and Le Repaire delivered excellent meals, never disappointed at either of those restaurants.
I got in some good shopping for Christmas presents. We read plenty books and overall had another great trip to SBH. We spoke with Ernest and will be headed back in December again. Now waiting for USAir to open the route to make the airline reservations. I have been able to do some lurking since we have been back and it is keeping me content until my toes are in the sand again. Lots to do before headed back, including sending our girl off to college in August. Yikes where does time get too??
Now a question for the group, we got spoiled by the good coffee every morning, what is your favorite blend here in the States? I picked up a can of Illy, but was wondering if you all had a preference for another brand I can find here.
Hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2014.
Charlotte

Hi Charlotte!
So glad to hear you and Bill had another wonderful trip. We are heading down in a few weeks and can't wait. Thanks for the trip report, it helps the time pass more quickly and I feel warmer just reading it. Sorry, no coffee recs. We never make coffee at home...there is a wonderful shop right next to my school :)

mb

thanks for sharing...

as to coffee...we drink a lot of it around here and our brewing runs the gamut from Jamaician Blue Mt on weekends...to plain old Dunkin Donuts during the week.... We also like Costa Rican beans a lot....Green Mt Coffee's Nantucket Blend and Vermont Country Blends are also favorites here...

Thanks for the suggestions. Illy is ridiculously expensive, and we only want a cup before heading out the door in the am. We have a great gourmet store that carries all sorts of beans, will check in with them and see if they carry the Costa Rican beans.

Lately, we love the beans roasted at Central Coffee Roasters in Sperryville, VA. They are the supplier for the Inn at Little Washington among others. We've experimented with different blends. You probably don't want to make the trip but you can mail order at http://centralcoffeeroasters.com/ and order some beans. Try a blend of half Guatemala and half Papua New Guinea. You can also use half Peru and half Sumatra. Also try their kitchen sink blend if you'd rather leave it up to them.

I am on the fence about coming over from St Martin a day early to celebrate our 30th at Nikki on Sunday. Haven't done it in a few years, so you may have talked me into it. Great report!

HC Valentine makes some of the best coffee I have ever had. They sell to high end restaurants and boutique hotels, but you can order it online from Blackberry Farm, who serves it at their resort and restaurant.

The most entertaining meal was Nikki’s Beach on Sunday for brunch. Somewhere in the world of iphones, there is video of an oncology nurse table top dancing!

I can be bribed.

For bed space, couch space, or floor space in St. Barts, the video is yours. PM me with villa details and dates.

Bart - Don't forget your wife is also in that video....don't think she would be too happy to see it out on the web. :wink2:

Thanks everyone for the coffee suggestions. Looking forward to some tasting research and something besides Starbucks.

As for the zoo that is Nikki's, it really was that Sunday afternoon, and that is what I was looking for. That type of scene is not my usual comfort zone, but it was fun for 1 afternoon a year. Eve - highly recommend for entertaining yourself on your special day.

C

I wasn't going put it on the web, I just planned to auction it off to the highest bidder!

But I'm with Charlotte on Nikki - it's not my scene AT ALL, and I hate the music they play there (although it was 70s stuff and not techno or house music that day), but it was a ton of fun to watch the show and all the crazies. I'm convinced that anyone, even Mike R himself, would have fun at one of those sunday parties if they wanted to.

Bart...I can assure you, without any doubt, watching a bunch of old rich people pretending they are still in college and partying is nothing I would even remotely call fun...and BTW I don't comment one way or the other on anything I haven't tried myself first.....and I tried out the whole NB experience when it first started up.....I did laugh though.....as I was leaving

not my scene.....at all

YMMV

have no clue..never met the guy...but its moot anyway...

that description was from MY observations when I was there and I don't believe he was there at the time....:cool:

but a great old fat tan man in a red bananna hammock was there - among other notables:nightmare:

but then again...maybe he was!

Always a few of those, but I'd say the younger set outnumbers them. You should give it a try again, it might have changed.

I can't say we have been there since the 60th party. Still a fun place when you bring the right crowd.