Bay Leaves

andynap

Senior Insider
Has anyone bought bay leaves lately? I have had a bay laurel plant for years and used the leaves for cooking a lot. It died last summer. So I needed some bay leaves for a dish I was making and I went shopping. $10 for 10? What? Are they crazy? Today I was delivered a new Bay Laurel plant that I bought online for $9.00. It's resting comfortably under my grow lights until spring when I will plant it in a container.
Problem solved.

yeah I hear ya...no room under my grow light right now....I have basil, dill, and thyme taking up all the space

I also have a tree, that's about 10 years old, doing great......but I have gotten some good Bay leaves at Penzeys ....
Good luck with your new one!
My pride and joy plant is my bird of paradise, that my parents brought back from California about 60 yrs ago....and it's about to bloom ( usually does at this time of year) :)

I also have a tree, that's about 10 years old, doing great......but I have gotten some good Bay leaves at Penzeys ....
Good luck with your new one!
My pride and joy plant is my bird of paradise, that my parents brought back from California about 60 yrs ago....and it's about to bloom ( usually does at this time of year) :)

My pride and joy is our Lemon Grass plant :eagerness: I've never grown Bay Leaves.... But having fresh Lemon Grass is crucial (to us) .....And t takes up a significant amount of real estate in our kitchen!

my pride and joy is my 6 foot Hibiscus tree which blooms until right around Christmas time and then goes dormant until I put it back outside late May

Linda, I love Bird of Paradise. I should look for one of those....

Our pride and joy are our two hibiscus, yellow with red at the base, and orange with deep reddish orange at the base. The basement has dormant banana's in it right now with a few scattered upstairs too. Wait, one more my Trumphet plant. The most beautiful yellow flowers with an amazing smell at night. If you love tropicals this is one to get. Note: they are poisonous, hallucinogenic although I've never experienced it. lol

I have never tried growing bay leaf but can tell you the last ones I bought just don't pull flavor like the others I had.

What kind of lights do you guys use?

I start all my vegetable seeds under fluorescents, but I only use them for starting seeds. Do they have enough juice to keep plants going year round?

Andy - where did you get your plant? Do you dry any of the leaves or just use them fresh?

I use plant/aquarium fluorescent grow lights. I got the bay laurel plant from 9GreenBox thru Amazon. It's $6.99 plus shipping. It's about 10 inches high in a 4 inch pot. It has about 10 leaves so far. There are bigger plants on Amazon.

I use a 2 level plant stand. The bay leaf is on the right

image.jpg

Well one of my "Birds" just opened today.....so here is a picture of it, and my bay leaf tree, through the branches of my olive tree....
image.jpg

Nice. I had that exact tree/bush/plant for 10 years and brought it in every year and babied it but it just died.