Thread: Why no SJU > SBH flights ?

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 575

Why no SJU > SBH flights ?

I've done a few BVI trips recently and the ease of getting there via San Juan is very nice. The scheduled flights and charters are all reasonable. I always wondered why Tradewinds was the only option out of San Juan to St Barts and more costly than a regularly scheduled flight. Also Tradewinds is seasonal.
    Is there a reason for this ?

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,667
    Over the years I think there have been a few, but they didn't last. Tradewind is now operating all year -- maybe not in September.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Tyler, Texas and Beaver Creek, Colorado Posts: 4,615
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    I've done a few BVI trips recently and the ease of getting there via San Juan is very nice. The scheduled flights and charters are all reasonable. I always wondered why Tradewinds was the only option out of San Juan to St Barts and more costly than a regularly scheduled flight. Also Tradewinds is seasonal.
    Is there a reason for this ?
    I believe American still flies from SJU to SXM where you can connect on Winair or St. Barth Commuter.
    To the optimist the glass is half full.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer the glass is simply too big.

I spoke with Tradewind and they said no flights in off season. Not sure what time frame they consider that to be but I was looking for the end of June.

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Over the years I think there have been a few, but they didn't last. Tradewind is now operating all year -- maybe not in September.

Then they have reversed their decision of last year.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/thr...-round-service

Just had an email exchange with David Zipkin of Tradewind -- they are still year-round in the Caribbean. He would like to know who you spoke to :)

I spoke with Mel

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Just had an email exchange with David Zipkin of Tradewind -- they are still year-round in the Caribbean. He would like to know who you spoke to :)

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by rivertrash View Post
    I believe American still flies from SJU to SXM where you can connect on Winair or St. Barth Commuter.
    American no longer flies SJU/SXM, but JetBlue does.

Phil

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,169
    They may be year-round but not on a daily basis, there were a few times this past fall I tried to book Tradewind and there were no flights SJU-SBH... I just tried putting in July 8-15, 2014 as a trial and it comes up as no flights on those dates... hmmm?

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,049
    I would not be concerned about that. I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago and they indicated that this years schedule, while not yet posted on their website, would more or less mimic last years. That means daily flights everyday except Tuesday and Wednesday.

Phil

my dates were 6/20-6/29 and I got the same thing. When I spoke with them they said "As of now we do not anticipate flying any shuttles at that time of year, but they would take my info if anything changed.

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    They may be year-round but not on a daily basis, there were a few times this past fall I tried to book Tradewind and there were no flights SJU-SBH... I just tried putting in July 8-15, 2014 as a trial and it comes up as no flights on those dates... hmmm?

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,049
    In July last year Tradewinds only had the 4:00PM Flight. Jet Blue had a morning flight at either 9:30 or 10:00 that I used to sxm and was still on Island befor 12:30
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

I am trying to book flights for my daughter and son-in-law for May with Tradewinds and it will not let me. Any additional information would be helpful

I just emailed with the owner and he said they have not loaded a full 2014 spring and summer schedule into place, but expect to do so soon.