• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

THIEVES BUSTED!!!

Reed

Senior Insider
This morning my house guest was called to come down to the Gendarmarie. Apparently the thieves were busted either last night or this morning. The thieves hail from SXM and were stockpiling a cache of computers, drugs and what was explained to me as "an enormous" sack of money. My friend's missing laptop and Ipad were returned (no damage). My heart is singing right now. A big shout out to the Gendarme for their work on solving this crime spree. Apparently they had a good idea of who the culprits were but were having problems locating were the booty was being held.

I am refreshed with a feeling a positivity about our beautiful island and have sadly learned a lesson to take more caution. It will be interesting to hear if this story will ever make the news over this busy holiday season. Aaaaaaah......St. Barth. kr

So glad all is well and that the thieves have been arrested. Does anyone know if this is the same bunch which hung out across from Le Select last summer? Anyway, a big thank you to the Gendarmes!!

Great news. Wonder how the French handle evidence? Here, I think the cops would need to hang on to the stolen property til the trial, no?

Great news. I read your first post and was saddened for you and your friends. When your home is invaded, it is no walk in the park. So, glad to hear the bad guys were caught and hopefully that will be the end of bad news for you.

See you soon!

jim

Keel hauling is no longer permitted, nor is falling down the stairs in the one-story jailhouse (it's more than one story now). Under the French justice system, the accused will undergo what to us is an unbelievably speedy trial. I expect that they will be tried, found guilty, and sentenced within a few months.

Kim - this is wonderful news! I'm so happy that these thieves were caught and that much of the merchandise was still in their possession. Great work by the gendarmes!

Very nice outcome! However, as we've learned here in rural Vermont, burglars can appear anywhere and it's best to remain vigilant, and keep valuables under safekeeping.

Glad they caught these aholes and goods recovered. Sounds like a mini crime spree was ended and that the gendarmes are stepping up their game. Since their activities spanned a period of time, where did they stay (can they recommend inexpensive lodging? :tongue: :rolleyes:) or, more importantly, were they staying with someone local who was also keeping the stash for them?