• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

First Timer - Villa Query

Galwayman

Hi.
I have only recently discovered this forum & am so glad I did. The info on here is so much more detailed than you can find elsewhere.
Anyhow, I am in the early stages of planning a 7 night trip to St Barts and am looking for some advice from people who would have first hand experience.
The trip is most likely to be in May 2014 for myself and my OH (both 30 years old).

We would be trying to keep within a budget so our plan is to rent a villa and eat in as much as possible getting produce & wine from the supermarket etc (though we will eat dinner out on a few occasions & probably try to steer clear of the very expensive restaurants).

I am just trying to decide what villa to book for the two of us. I have only recently started looking and I do like the look of Villa Ace in the St Jean area.
This is coming in at $3500 for the week in May.
I am not sure on an exact budget yet so am unsure if we can stretch it to paying this price for the week but I'm wondering if anybody has any other villa recommendations that might be as nice as that one seems to be but maybe for a slightly lower weekly price?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Welcome!

Take a look at Case et Cuisine (Villa CEC) in Marigot. It was a little too small for us to rent on our last trips with kids but it looks wonderful for a couple.
It gets great reviews on this forum too.

Good luck!

You could stay at Les Ilets right on St Jean beach for $1400 after 5/1.
I wish :) It's EURO 2450/week ($ 3330) after May 1 for the 1 BR beachfront and EURO 1400/week ($1900) for the 1 BR garden villas .

Still, a nice price to be right on the beach!

Check the Villas for rent by owners at the right of the first page....Villa La Baleine is a perennial favorite as well as Rosita's other properties. For a first timer, you would not be in better hands.....

Oh right, sorry. euro not dollars. BTW. Beach front not worth the extra money, imho. $1,900 still pretty good. And while writing this, I realized we are checking into the one bedroom at Les Islet on 5/4. Dah!

You might be able to economize by picking a low frills/no frills villa and only use it for sleeping and meals and not hanging out. This may be tough to do, or even imagine doing on your first visit since you don't really know what you'll like to do, (i.e. will you spend all day away from the villa or would you rather hang around the pool all day?).

For our most recent trip we didn't use the pool at all but used the hot tub a lot, so we could have saved some money by picking a place with a hot tub only, but it was for weather related reasons that we didn't use the pool. We also didn't spend very much time at the villa so that limited our chances of using the pool.

It's not hard or unpleasant to go to one beach in the morning then do lunch at a restaurant and then hit another beach (or shopping or hiking, etc) in the afternoon and return to your villa in the evening. If you do that a few times, your villa time will almost be limited to only dusk and nighttime hours. Of course never having been there before it's hard to predict what you'll feel like doing, and how much time you want to hang at home.

Villa ACE was not there when my wife and I traveled to SBH for the first time in 2005, but our first trip we stayed at SAS, which is a sister property and directly next door. SAS was extremely nice, and by the looks of it ACE is as well. The location is great..... Someone above mentioned Baliene, and while we have not stayed there YET, we have stayed in another of Rosita's villas and she is the best. She took us on a tour of Baliene, and it is fabulous. Can't wait to stay there sometime soon we hope!! Good luck and have fun.

I highly recommend Rosita, a forum member and multiple villas owner. Send her a PM if you'd like her assistance.

I think that many of the villas mentioned above and listed here on SBHonline are excellent choices. And many of the owners have become my friends.

Since you mentioned Villa ACE, I can tell you that it's available only for May 18-29. It's not an inexpensive villa but, as often, you get what you pay for...

~ Jean d'Arme, Owner of Villa ACE ~

Villa Royal Palm with St. Barts Properties is an Amazing value at $2750 per week for 1 bedroom and is perfect for hanging out. Great indoor/outdoor feel, incredible view, surround sound inside and out, screens, AC throughout, lots of places to hang and entertain. The owner is helpful and very nice. It can be a little tough to navigate to it in the dark so pay attention to the turns and the visual markers before you go out at night. Also note that while there are other villas nearby, we found it to be very private! Oh... and did I mention...THE VIEWS are outstanding!

http://www.stbarth.com/Villas/royal.shtm

Agree with thumbs up for Royal Palm. We just reserved for Sep after a 5 yr absence. Lazy afternoons by the pool, listening to the planes power up and appear from behind the mnt after takeoff. Very private. Well maintained property

I can vouch for SAS, which is right next to ACE. Beautiful views, my wife and I were very pleased. Close to St. Jean beach, great location.