Bleu

JEK

Senior Insider
A few reserved spaces in the lot for the fishermen (02), taxis(11), handicapped(02), police (02), ferry baggage(01) and the local EPA(01) :)
b.png

This article is referring to the parking lot as one enters Gustavia by the ferry terminal.

bb.jpg

So, one must now display the "disque" any time they park in a zone bleu from eight in the morning to six at night(excluding Sundays and holidays) or encounter an expensive parking ticket and all the hassles that go along with it.

The famous "disque" pictured below -

disque.png

Yes, so check the glove box on your rental to make sure you have one! Making the big lot by the ferry Zone Bleue should really help parking in Gustavia.

I knew you could do it. You have 19. I count 21 but either number is a lot. The taxis used to hang out and double park when ferries came in. I guess the object is to get the store owners who park all day out of there. We will see.

By my reading (and memory), the number of reserved spaces has not changed. There are still eleven spaces reserved in the smaller lot for taxis, and two for commercial fishermen. There is still one baggage loading/unloading space. In the larger lot there is still one handicapped parking space near the ferry terminal, as well as a reserved space for each of the Gendarmerie, Police Territoriale, Prefecture, and Customs. At the far end of the larger lot there is still one additional handicapped parking space, and one reserved space for the Agence de l'Environement (is that what the Marine Reserve is called thse days?).

Everything else is available for 90-minute parking.

It will be interesting to see how the scooters and quads handle this change. Will they display a Disque Bleu? Will they be in a legal space, or anywhere that they can cram in, as they do now? Will they be parked one to a space, or multiples, as they are now?

Kevin, as usual, has nailed it. The first small lot as you come into town has always been reserved for the various professions and usages.

bbbb.jpg

That first small lot should now have some 90-minute spaces in it. The line of nose-to-tail spaces closest to the harbor in that lot is reserved for taxis, as are the nose-to-tail spaces parallel to them along the small median strip. There are 6-8 nose-in parking spaces along the street side, most (all?) of which will now be 90-minute spaces.

I expect that the most spaces will be freed up by those who use the lots as all-day or longterm parking while they take the ferry to St Martin. A few more may be freed up by a rental car company which has been known to occasionally stash cars in town for rental by cruise ship passengers. The police may even find that there is an abandoned car or two in the lots. Time will tell if the shop girls find somewhere else to park, adjust their Disque Bleu as time passes, or adopt another tactic.

My personal challenge is to find a way to fit lunch into a mere 90 minutes.

I could never find a space in the first lot and gave up trying. The second lot was better but I had better luck on the street

The best luck at finding parking spaces comes when you fully understand the shop girls' schedules.