• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

First time Voyageur riders

TJH

SBH Insider
Odds were, it had to happen. After fifteen + trips to this lovely isle, yesterday we were faced with a major dilemma. Due to strong storms, our flight to SXM was stuck in a holding pattern for at least a half hour, and by the time we landed, SBC had stopped flying to St Barth, there was no room on Winair, and we were faced with the option of the Voyageur or waiting until 4:15pm the following day for the five seats we needed...I warned my family. It was still storming. Lightning. Thunder. Rolling waves. And two of our three children get motion sickness.

Still, faced with the thought of having to wait for another day to arrive, we took a taxi to Marigot Bay to await the Voyageur, which was delayed two times and eventually left about two hours after schedule. And the ride did not disappoint. In a way, it was a blessing that it was night and dark outside, because until the lights of Gustavia were in sight, I did not fully comprehend the extent to which we were rocking and rolling. Many sick passengers, including two of ours...Arrival at the dock in the pouring rain...negotiations to take our luggage by taxi to the villa up the hill while some of us walked (for the fresh air and stable ground!).

How pleased we were to find a bottle of bubbly in the fridge. Hubby and two kids walked to L'Isoletta to buy up the remaining slices they had (it was 10:45 by this point), so we had a late night feast of assorted pizzas and bubbly, and awoke to begin our day, here. Lovely. I don't mind the clouds, the wind, just happy to be here. Heard from friends that it was 1 degree this morning in Chicago. Very happy to be here.

TJH,
I will refer all readers who want to take the ferry instead of the plane to SBH to your post. Well done:up:

The ferry would never be my first choice, ever, but now that we've done it, I would do it again. The conditions would probably never be as bad as they were last night, but in the event we'd have to wait another day, it was worth it. So nice to wake up here.

And I should give give props to the SBC staff who took care of us, calling the Voyageur to reserve our spots (it was sold out last night) and checking on other flight options for us.

We did, Eve! In fact, we've declared it a perfect St Barth day. This morning, some ran the hill from Gustavia to Lurin and back, while others were lazy and read poolside (me!), then lunch at Santa Fe, long afternoon at Colombier, and we're off to the Hideaway shortly. Doesn't get much better than that on a sunny day!

That's why I stayed back and was reading! Two of the three are under 20 - my husband deserves the thumbs up!