• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Restaurant Tipping Tips

mentaloriental

SBH Member
What's the deal with tipping in restaurants?

I've seen opposing views on tripadvisor. With one saying it's okay not to tip as you are in France, another person saying to round up to nearest 10 (5-20€ max), and another into detail about tip vs servis compris (said this at the bottom of the Langouste menu, think it meant service included, but not a tip in the traditional American sense as it doesn't go direct to waiter/staff and is taxed), and how it's also considered rude to not leave anything.

I noticed when paying with a card in some restaurants, there's a tip line to tip at your discretion where as other restaurants don't even have a tip line. I wonder if it's because they are more accustomed to Chip & PIN? The more touristy places like ER have the tip line.

Thanks!

In France, service is included by law but not a pourboire -- a tip for good service. Some of "us" leave nothing, some of "us" leave 10-15%, but all of us dislike the line for tips and the encouragement some places give to add a 20% tip as at home.

John, I recall a superb post, by Andy (of Hideaway fame) explaining a restauranteur's view which was very informative. Any chance you can locate it?

P.S. We leave 10% in cash unless there is a tip line that says 20% in which case we leave nothing.

Andy's point of view was interesting but regardless there are few if any times I would not leave a tip- it's ingrained in me. The amount depends tho. A waitperson who ignores us gets less and an attentive one gets more. Simple. And I leave it in Euros not on a credit card slip.

John, I recall a superb post, by Andy (of Hideaway fame) explaining a restauranteur's view which was very informative. Any chance you can locate it?

P.S. We leave 10% in cash unless there is a tip line that says 20% in which case we leave nothing.

The Andy perspective:

• "I think that everyone should forget about French laws. As you know in SBH, we don't follow them exactly, thank god. The waiters are paid a fixed wage in some places, and on a percentage in others. If the waiter is paid on a percentage, it normally means part of that 15% we talk about, divided between all of the service staff. (on a quiet night 15% of not a lot, is very little). So a tip helps them. If a waiter is paid a fixed wage, it is the thought of tips that will keep him eager to please on a very busy night. Most staff have very high rents to pay, and as you all know, the cost of living is very high. My staff are well paid and work hard, but they still need tips to be able to enjoy life.
    If you leave 5% everyone is happy. I leave 20% wherever I go, but that's just to buy popularity, as I'm such an unpopular guy.
    The bottom line is, leave what you are happy to leave if the service was good, and zilch if it was bad.
    Cheers
    Andy"

A ha! So pourboire is tip in the traditional sense, where as servis compris is service charge included in the bill.

I will follow the 10-15% guideline next time, thanks!

I have also found a re-post of Andy's (of the Hideaway) comments upon doing a forum search. Quoted below; apparently this is a question asked by many of people!

"I think that everyone should forget about French laws. As you know in SBH, we don't follow them exactly, thank god. The waiters are paid a fixed wage in some places, and on a percentage in others. If the waiter is paid on a percentage, it normally means part of that 15% we talk about, divided between all of the service staff. (on a quiet night 15% of not a lot, is very little). So a tip helps them. If a waiter is paid a fixed wage, it is the thought of tips that will keep him eager to please on a very busy night. Most staff have very high rents to pay, and as you all know, the cost of living is very high. My staff are well paid and work hard, but they still need tips to be able to enjoy life.
If you leave 5% everyone is happy. I leave 20% wherever I go, but that's just to buy popularity, as I'm such an unpopular guy.
The bottom line is, leave what you are happy to leave if the service was good, and zilch if it was bad.
Cheers
Andy"

French lesson for the day!

Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 9.43.18 AM.jpg

Unless you are at Tom Beach and the "beach usher" with the hat, who has ignored you all day, kneels in front of you with your bill and says, "The teep goes on this line"

I will follow the 10-15% guideline next time, thanks!

"I think that everyone should forget about French laws. As you know in SBH, we don't follow them exactly, thank god. The waiters are paid a fixed wage in some places, and on a percentage in others. If the waiter is paid on a percentage, it normally means part of that 15% we talk about, divided between all of the service staff. (on a quiet night 15% of not a lot, is very little). So a tip helps them. If a waiter is paid a fixed wage, it is the thought of tips that will keep him eager to please on a very busy night. Most staff have very high rents to pay, and as you all know, the cost of living is very high. My staff are well paid and work hard, but they still need tips to be able to enjoy life.
Cheers
Andy"

Leave 10-15% if you wish, but in my experience, and as confirmed by The Andy, everybody is perfectly happy with 5%.

I also want to add that I believe a good restaurant/restauranteur or host is probably more flattered that you liked everything so much that you should return to them, especially in the limited time you (or we) have to spend on the island, in addition to the myriad of dining options available.

i have noticed this conversation many times on the forum and I don't remember ever replying. I am not a very frequent resto goer outer as I live here 6 months a year and don't go out frequently due the fact that I cook for a living and enjoy making my own food. Tonight I had the luxury of enjoying a proper junk food meal which was a chili cheese dog avec Velvetta cheese and it was wonderful:) Sometimes the really simple things in life are the most enjoyed... While knowing it is customary to tip only 5-10% by some, and less by locals, I just can't find it in my heart to do that as in my former life I worked for tips. I normally leave 20 % at least. This is even in the event that the service/food is horrible. As in many instances, one doesn't know if the service is slow or off due to the kitchen or if the server is having an off night/day. I always leave a euro per drink tip (even at Le Select). I know it is not necessary and I am not trying to make some sort of point, nor can I state (sadly) that I recently won the lottery, but I know the work that goes into this sort of job. Most of these resto workers are on a a per month payment schedule
which would frankly allow them to splurge one time a month, on their day off, at one of the places that are frequented daily by people on this forum. I don't really understand why someone would behave differently tip wise here than where they come. Trust me...........all of these people down here are not living in tricked out villas that most here stay at, and in no way are they able to afford going out to the restos visitors can afford. Resto workers are making their living just scrapping by and maybe putting enough loot together to go see their families is France once a year. This is merely my observation as a person that spends some time down here who tips nicely and is ALWAYS sat at a table, even on busy days, when the last minute need arises to go to a resto without making a reservation in advance. Always VERY troubling going out in big groups when people are haggling over the bill about splitting a bottle of water or something, and I leave a proper tip and no one else does.... I have made it a new habit to personally give MY tip to the server to have them know that it came from ME. ADVISE FROM A FORMER HOSPITALITY WORKER. kr.

As I have said many times before, I tip like I tip at home. I don't why it should change because I'm in St. Barts and some say its France and all that. The only time I tried to tip and it was rejected was in Tahiti and I really tried. I don't know why this subject comes up so often.

As I have said many times before, I tip like I tip at home. I don't why it should change because I'm in St. Barts and some say its France and all that. The only time I tried to tip and it was rejected was in Tahiti and I really tried. I don't know why this subject comes up so often.
It comes up some many times because it is confusing and we have Newbies. We could just ignore the queries, but I think it is polite to opine.

John,

In my best opinion, this subject comes up frequently because many read this site and think it is cool to come down here and tip in the best word that I can think of is "cheap" because some people think that resto workers are making tons of loot which they are not, and because they are on a French island where the French don't tip, that is is OK if they don't. I know for a fact that you know many resto staff and I feel pretty sure in stating that these folks are not living a luxurious lifestyle no matter what their "monthly" wage. As Andy stated, do what you do at home. Why should it be any different here? Case closed. Get VIP treatment, don't leave 5 Euro for a 100 plus Euro bill and have people like you and take care of you on your next visit. Seems simple to me. kr

As I have said many times before, I tip like I tip at home. I don't why it should change because I'm in St. Barts and some say its France and all that.

Because you're not at home (USA) and the employment laws and traditions and circumstances are different. But, if it makes you happy to leave a 15-20% pourboire, I'm sure the locals appreciate your largesse. I do imagine they take you for une bonne poire though.
And as a wise man once said, "it's your vacation. spend it as you wish. " (or something like that)

It comes up some many times because it is confusing and we have Newbies. We could just ignore the queries, but I think it is polite to opine.
It's confusing because we make it confusing. Do what you want. End of story.

Hey Cass,
I don't recall you actually being of French origin but please correct me if I am wrong. My VERY simple post which I am not trying to be a jerk by posting, is based on my experience living her for 6 months a year over the last 7 years. I believe I met you and your lovely wife once? Not trying to really be harsh but I live hear and take care of people the way I want to be taken care of. GOOD KARMA, Pass it on....What goes around comes around. Has always worked out for me in life and I am sticking to that policy. kr

PS, I don't think anyone on this island thinks I am a fool for tipping properly. I know it has come in very handy (which is not why I do it by the why) when needing last minute service. Are you familiar with that with the time that YOU spend down here? kr