• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Buying Gas After Hours

KevinS

Senior Insider
It is only possible to buy gas after hours (nights, holidays, and Sundays) if you have a true Chip and Pin credit card.

Typical American credit cards have a mag strip, and no chip. They will not work after hours.

Some American credit cards have a chip, but no PIN. These are known as Chip and Signature cards. They will not work after hours.

A very few American credit cards have a chip and a PIN for transactions. These are known as Chip and PIN cards. These are the only US credit cards that WILL work after hours.

The above applies to MasterCard and Visa cards. Amex is not accepted at the gas station.

The procedure to buy gas after hours is as follows:

1) Insert your Chip and Pin card into the card reader. Leave it there. In the US, gas pump card readers typically require a quick in-and-out dip. Chip and Pin card readers are different, and require that the card stay in the reader until the validation process is complete.

2) When prompted, enter your 4-digit PIN, and then V (for Valider, or Validate)

3) When instructed to do so, remove your card.

4) Pump your gas

5) Take your receipt

If you see this message:

Declined
Cancelled Transact.
Remove Card

Your card is probably a Chip and Signature card, not a Chip and Pin card, and cannot be accepted.

If you see this message:

Carte Arrachee
Piste Non Lue
Transaction Annulee

Go back and read #1 above. You dipped your card, rather than leaving it in the card reader until validation was completed. The message reads Card Torn (or pulled from the reader) Track Not Read, Transaction Cancelled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,027
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,012
I tested my recently received Citi AAdvantage Chip and Signature card earlier tonight. The test failed. The "declined" image was from that attempt.

Your USAA card, IIRC, is a true Chip and Pin card, as is my grandfathered Diners card. It will work just fine, as long as you remember to let it sit in the card reader through the entire validation process.

Thanks Kevin, this is good info. Like you, I also have a Chip and Pin Diners Club card, but had to ask a local to help me out when I couldn't understand the instructions. I reciprocated by paying for him to fill his scooter.

I am going to print this out and put it in my SBH file.

Phil

If you don't have said chip and pin card, make sure Ellen and Rosemond are nearby! :cool: Thanks, again, guys!!! :very_drunk:

Phil,

The instructions are partially in French, and partially in English, perhaps based on the issuing country of the card. The "V" for Valider/Validate isn't mentioned in either language. I take it as one of those things that "everybody knows" - except for those of us from the US who are just joining the Chip and Pin world.

Our Canadian Chip and PIN card worked like a charm this past trip. Rob helped someone out with a US Chip card but no PIN - he pumped his gas in exchange for cash. I've also found that wherever we used the Chip and PIN card that it recognized the card was issued in Canada and provided us with primarily English prompts. That happened not only at the gas station but at select restaurants and shops.