NYE in St John?

Dennis

Senior Insider
Looks like NYE in St John is gonna happen.

Looking at Gallows Point. Kinda of a condo complex/resort near Cruz Bay.

Any intel?

I know the beaches are supposed to be unreal. And it looks like day trips to nearby islands is doable.

Restos?

Bars?

TIA

Gallows Point is very nice and a short stroll to town..Beaches are beyond unreal! Easy day trips to the BVI are recommended especially Jost van Dyke...
My favorite beaches
Hawksnest
Big Maho
Trunk
Cinnamon
Salomon Bay

They blow away anything SBH has AINEC

A step below for a place to stay would be Lavender Hill and it might be half the cost of Gallows..Same neighborhood and bigger units

My last thoughts for you Dennis and I don't want to be punched in the nose...If you go leave all the fancy resort wear at home..All u need are khaki shorts and a t shirt or polo shirt and flip flops..For the Mrs a nice Sun dress or very casual wear..Nobody will be wearing linen resort wear...This is nothing like SBH and that's a good thing...I would tell you to bring a cooler of frozen food but I'm sure you guys will dine out every night

My last thoughts for you Dennis and I don't want to be punched in the nose...If you go leave all the fancy resort wear at home..All u need are khaki shorts and a t shirt or polo shirt and flip flops..For the Mrs a nice Sun dress or very casual wear..Nobody will be wearing linen resort wear...This is nothing like SBH and that's a good thing...I would tell you to bring a cooler of frozen food but I'm sure you guys will dine out every night

We've already had the conversation about leaving the Chanel and Jimmy Choos at home.

Hell, we may even be able to go carry-on!

Dennis, St John is great, one of my favorites. Peter has given you some good advice.

I'd add that the snorkeling is good for these days in the Caribbean. It's not what it was 20 years ago unfortunately. If that appeals, hike along Leinster Bay toward Waterlemon Cay and swim around the small island for colorful corals and tropical fish. Also, it's worth a long lazy swim to look for turtles in Francis Bay along the northern rocks. The well-protected beach there is probably my favorite for its glassy water and pelicans fishing. As my 3 year old granddaughter said, "This is not a good beach! There are animals on this beach!"

Hiking is good as well and is necessary to reach many of the best beaches such as Salomon. The national park runs the reef bay hike which is very enjoyable. The North Shore beaches are all breathtaking but don't neglect the wilder south shore accessible with a 4wd. I love the wild Salt Pond hike out to the southeastern point.

It's a very laid back place. If you think national park, you'll get it. There is plenty of civilization in Cruz Bay but it's US and Caribbean, not French.

Thanks Peter & Josh.

This started on Saturday morning with an off-hand comment from my wife that we should plan an early January get away to St Barts. By Sunday night, it had morphed into a trip to St John for NYE.

We know it will be different but that's why Lisa wants to go there. Because it will be different. Better in some ways, not as good as St Barts in others.

She was in St John years ago for a work/reward trip and remembers the beaches as amazing.

It will be a warm place for us to escape Chicago winter in late December/early January so I am all down wid it.

Ah. OK, stick with Gallows Point and Lavender Hill then. Happy hour at Woody's can't be beat. Still $1 drinks, I think. Also, the Beach Bar is a pretty lively scene.

Thanks Peter & Josh.

This started on Saturday morning with an off-hand comment from my wife that we should plan an early January get away to St Barts. By Sunday night, it had morphed into a trip to St John for NYE.

We know it will be different but that's why Lisa wants to go there. Because it will be different. Better in some ways, not as good as St Barts in others.

She was in St John years ago for a work/reward trip and remembers the beaches as amazing.

It will be a warm place for us to escape Chicago winter in late December/early January so I am all down wid it.

Dennis, this reminds me somewhat of my last conversation with my husband. We've done St. John once prior to finding SBH and it was many years ago. We enjoyed it a lot...very laid back and no fancy-shmansy garb needed. We were "younger" then and vacationed differently. We stayed a two condo unit called "Cruz Views"...most likely isn't there anymore or has morphed into something bigger and better. It had a pool, somewhat comfortable beds and was within walking distance to what became our favorite hangout, the Lime Tree. The condo over looked Gallows as I remember correctly. Location was great...It was not in high season, however, which is when you're headed there. It'll be a great "adventure"...the unknown is always tempting. And as you said, WARM which Chicago ain't! Try not to compare it to SBH...cause it won't BUT, beaches are terrific and it's NYE....you'll have a blast.

Not sure if this trip has happened yet but if you go with the day trip to Jost try Singing Dog Sailing. They were great!

2 weeks til I leave for St. Thomas, and day trips to the other islands. I'm really looking forward to St. John. Great info in here :up: A friend suggested I check out Caneel Bay--- she said the resort is beautiful, and nice lounge areas-----any thoughts on this? My travel companions aren't the hiking sorts, so I kinda doubt we will going to the more remote beaches, but they sound sooo gorgeous! Which beach would be spectacular but easy to access? We will have a car, or course, but not sure if its 4 wheel....

Kat its really easy to beach hop on St John just get off the ferry and on a safari truck to your left as you leave the ferry...My first stop would be Hawksnest...then the usuals Trunk and Cinnamon...I would love for you to see big Maho but getting back might be iffy...Long way to be waiting for a passing taxi..The safari buses are cheap and fun...Have your camera ready for some crazy vistas...