Using ATM cards from USA in ST Barts

Kevin, I thought I remembered a similar discussion, and we'll look forward to your report. All my winter flights are on Sundays, so it might come in handy if it works at the St. Jean service station.

P.S. To iJean, I've defiitely got the Chip.:)

My A/A Citibank card has a Chip also. I wonder if it'll work at the St. Jean gas station. I don't recall having a PIN number.

Was not aware that there is an A/A Citibank card with a chip. Tim, did you request that or is it maybe a higher level Citibank card?

Was not aware that there is an A/A Citibank card with a chip. Tim, did you request that or is it maybe a higher level Citibank card?

It's an A/A Citi Mastercard, Platinum level. I didn't request it; it just came that way.

It's an A/A Citi Mastercard, Platinum level. I didn't request it; it just came that way.
I have that one and it's not chip and pin and won't work at the gas pumps in SBH. But I know their hours so I don't worry about it.

Just a reminder that these are banks; if there's no fee, the fee is most likely built into the exchange rate. Or if you're really luck, you get both.

The currency exchange kiosks advertising "no fee" aren't a charity either.

I have that one and it's not chip and pin and won't work at the gas pumps in SBH. But I know their hours so I don't worry about it.

I know the hours too, but with a long stay I always seem to be running on empty Sunday morning. USAA C & P this next trip.

My A/A Citibank card has a Chip also. I wonder if it'll work at the St. Jean gas station. I don't recall having a PIN number.

Tim, I tried using my A/A Citibank Chip and Sign card last night. No go.

image.jpg

My new Marriott Visa has a chip in it. I called Visa and they said if the machine asks for a numerical pin number, just put in 0000 and it should work. I'll find out soon enough!

The AMEX cards we are aware still charge the 3% foreign currency conversion fee, although the Delta AMEX card announced the fee will be dropped effective 5/1/14. We have found that the ATMs run out of cash, particularly around the big weeks such as Bucket and Carnival and often on Mondays, following the weekends. They seem to get quickly replenished. For whatever reason, sometimes we seem to have luck with them and sometimes for whatever reason we are not able to retrieve cash from them. We do not have a chip card but understand soon most of the U.S. cards will have them for improved security purposes. Beware, if you want to purchase gas, after hours, you are not able to without a chip card. That happened to us when we wanted to fill up our rental car before turning it in. Odile, at Gump's, did not charge us any extra because we have been good customers of hers for a long time.

Apple Card works for gasoline and anything else EXCEPT at an ATM. Credit card only, no cash.