Thread: Stone Crab

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,773

Stone Crab

Season started yesterday with a good haul...now if we can just keep the octopus offshore.........I may have to jump in tomorrow......

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935
    is it still one claw and the rest of it goes back in?
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,773
    Mike, they changed the law a few years back allowing the taking of both claws of a legal size crab....the old guard doesn't do it so much....but they can...

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2009 Illinois Posts: 495
    We had our first Stone Crab 2 years ago at Snapper's in Key Largo. All I can say is "Wow" they are tasty. I am so envious of you coastal peeps. What I wouldn't give for some!! Enjoy!
    It was my first look, baby that's all it took

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2009 Illinois Posts: 495
    Thanks Ron, I just checked it out but with the shipping (ugh) think I will just have to wait another 4 years till retirement when we can enjoy those warm winter breezes and beautiful gulf waters. :)
    It was my first look, baby that's all it took

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935
    I got married the week stone crab season opened and we had 25 pounds overnighted to the restaurant for appetiizers.....it all started because we had our reception in a resto in Killington VT owned by Wendi's uncle and I told him jokingly not to bother going the seafood route for dinner because given what I am used to, I wont be impressed by anything.......so he went and did that

I was impressed

and they were soooooo good!
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,340
    They are delicious, Mike. A don't miss treat if we time it right on a Florida visit.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.