Status
Not open for further replies.

JEK

Senior Insider
Thanks Ricky! Thanks islander!
Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 7.09.37 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 1.59.10 PM.jpg

In regard to pet policy in St Barths:

I have a dog and have travelled numerous times in and out of St Barths. The rules are as follows (even if, as RickyG said, they're not always strictly enforced):

- A micro chip is mandatory (after 2011)
- The animal must be minimum 3 months old
- The animal must have received anti rabies vaccine 21 days to 1 year before travel and anti parasitic treatment must have been given by a vet before travel
- A health certificate must be produced by a vet within 5 days of travel (and this one is very important or your dog might be refused travel by the airline and/or denied access into the country, in St Maarten and St Barths)
- The appropriate paperwork must accompany the animal (in French we even call it "animal passport" or "health record document").
Lots of questions here...

Eika: yes you are right there are some breed restrictions. Not directly related to travel, but rather on import rules or even possession of some dogs, such as (but not limited to) Pitbulls, Rottweilers, or even some Mastiffs.... Some aren't allowed at all, and some must wear a muzzle when in public areas. The law is quite complicated, I don't have all details.

Eve: dogs are not allowed on the beaches in St Barths. But they are tolerated on some beaches such as Toiny for example, if early morning or late afternoon. Basically when no one is annoyed by the presence of the dog (that includes "cleaning" after.... well you know....). Don't try to walk your dog in Salines in the middle of the afternoon, or you might face some remarks from sun bathers (probably rightly so).... respect is the key.

Grey: yes, it makes me nervous as well. But what can you do (other than leave the dog at home if you can)? If the dog is over 6 kg (European rules), it must travel in the cargo hold. The cargo hold is ventilated, pressurized (obviously) and at the right temperature (exactly like in the passenger cabin). But there is no light (except if it's left "on"), and it can be very noisy (the engines aren't very far from the cargo hold on most aircraft). There is no noise insulation like in a passenger cabin. It's definitely a stressful experience for the animal, that is why it is better to give them a tranquilizer before the trip. It's always a relief to see the dog in the arrival terminal after the journey.

Note: I was always concerned in St Maarten. But in fact, they always did a great job at the airport there. A dedicated agent comes at the check-in desk and takes care of the dog personally all the way to the aircraft. I even was able to see my dog "boarding" the aircraft once.

Status
Not open for further replies.