• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

St Barth Properties (rude behavior?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosbia

SBH Member
Is it me or was the staff at St. Barth Properties rude to me?

I called St. Barth Properties yesterday afternoon and asked if I could be assisted in the right direction about pet policies on St. Barth. I simply told the woman I was aware of the airline rules and regulations but I was a bit confused about entry rules and regulations since I read material on 3 different websites and each were different. She asked me if I was a client and I told her that I have rented from St. Barths Properties in the past but not recently. For the past several years I have been renting from owners directly and when she looked up my name and noticed it was a few years since I rented from St. Barth Properties, she turned cold on me and said that she cant assist me since I didnt rent from them this season. I then informed her of the link related to pets on the St. Barth Properties website and asked if the info was correct and she then told me she had no idea if the info given on the website was correct and told me to contact the owner of the villa and get the info from the owner instead. St. Barths Properties is an agency that has been offering services to clients since 1995 and I feel that they are well aware of their website info and know it top to bottom, left to right.

She was very rude. RickyG and BartyB are the experts on this subject -- I will look up one of their responses to the same question.

This was definitely rude IMO, but out of character for SBP. I admit I haven't used them in quite a few years, however. When I did use them, they were extremely easy to deal with and more than helpful. Nothing turns me off more (as a potential client) than rude and unresponsive dialogue. Peg Walsh should be made aware of this encounter.

we too have had that same experience with st barts properties. I think that they are easily put off if one does not make use of them and uncooperative when there is an issue. we no longer use their services and are very happy on our own!!

That would be like a former client calling me to ask questions about their Fidelity account that they switched to. I'm not sure how forthcoming I would be about info, either. And I'm nice to everyone.

This is just common courtesy to me. You ALWAYS have to assume that you ARE speaking to a potential client...not to mention possible backlash from postings on the multiple media and/or chat sites that can come back to haunt you....such as our little forum here.

We are only hearing one side of the story. I can imagine that SBH is not willing to vouch for the accuracy of something on the website, and open themselves up for liability, to a non-client.

I think it was rude. I try to avoid using SBP. Too many issues with their service and lack of knowledge every single time we use them. I must say, some of the staff members are better than others. Just my opinion.

We are only hearing one side of the story. I can imagine that SBH is not willing to vouch for the accuracy of something on the website, and open themselves up for liability, to a non-client.
I don't think the veracity of the website was the issue. The attitude was the issue.

I don't think the veracity of the website was the issue. The attitude was the issue.

Exactly. Guess things could have changed since I've used SBP and if so, it's a shame. Customer service is the name of the game IMO....whether or not that customer in need of assistance is a current client or not. Too much competition out there to shoot yourself in the foot.

Exactly. Guess things could have changed since I've used SBP and if so, it's a shame. Customer service is the name of the game IMO....whether or not that customer in need of assistance is a current client or not. Too much competition out there to shoot yourself in the foot.

couldn't agree more

I'm with Eve. Asking for advice from somebody where there is no reasonable chance of a business relationship is asking a lot. The person is there to serve clients and potential clients.
The person calling was neither.

John, but the person pretty much confirmed that he/she was not a future client. The person was happy renting directly.

Lawyers face this way too often.
People want to get an answer, but they don't want to pay us for the advice.
You learn to speak to people by identifying issues but not giving the answer unless the person becomes a client.
You also learn "I don't want nobody nobody sent."
Unless the matter was referred by somebody I know, or unless the person comes from a company I know well, I'm just not that interested in the call. There are too many time-suckers out there.

I definitely understand the perspective and the frustration of the person who took the call.

I personally would not have made that call to a company I was not going to work with.

Everyone is a potential future client and should be treated as such.
Exactly. As someone in the high-end, luxury services business, I would never, ever treat a former or potential future customer in this way. I too get questions all the time from friends, family, former AND future customers. I happily answer, unless it's something that requires a great deal of research, time and effort on my behalf. It doesn't take away from my business, and sometimes leads to future business. It doesn't sound like Cosbia said they would never be a customer again. I see no reason why SBP could not have politely given the information if they knew it, or suggested another place to look for it. We've also used SBP, and had no issues with them. I won't deal with rude people, though!

It reminds me of a lawyer I spoke to for the first time (and last), when the first thing he asked me was.... my credit card number, before we even entered the subject of my call.

I believe there is a right "balance" somewhere in the process. Any business must face free advice to a potential customer at some point. Otherwise, the business might very well lose the customer before any sale goes on. By the look of it, that's exactly what happened here with SBP.

Dave- asking for advice on bringing a dog to SBH isn't quite the same as asking for legal or medical advice over the phone which I would never do unless it was a client.

Unless the person is wrong and gets to St. Maarten with a dog and then cannot complete the trip.
I'm sure that would be great for business too.

Again, the person was pretty clear that he/she was not a potential client.
Maybe because I've gotten way too many calls like that over the years, but I just don't have a problem with the way the company behaved.

I love NYC, and go there as often as possible
I'm a potential customer for any hotel there
I would not call for infos, the hotel I'm not going to.
I'd rather call the one I have a reservation with.
I would not call the hotel I've been to, several years ago neither.

Also, I would not go to complain on a forum if a conversation doesn't turn the way I want (but it's another story :D).

Does the person at SBP know all the legal pet's issues ? Probably not. (I have no idea myself, I live here and I have pets)
Does she want to spend time, an hour or so, making researchs to give an accurate answer to a client ? : for sure
To someone else, not a client ? hummmm..... guess....
Could she be more friendly ? Maybe.

I propose a test :
someone call Wimco, Sibarth, ici & La etc.... :
"Hi I'm not renting with you, but I'd like to get infos reg. pets on the island."

just an opinion amog other....

Status
Not open for further replies.