CHECK YOUR RESERVATIONS!

tim

I check my winter flight reservations at least monthly. Today I discovered that Winair had changed our flights to SBH, thereby causing an illegal connection. I bought the tix through US Air, and they graciously changed the flights back for me. I urge all travelers to verify their flights while there is still flexibility with the carriers!

Tim- what's an illegal connection?

A US Air/Winair connection to SBH in less than 60 minutes and from SBH in less than 90 minutes are "illegal" connections(unless there's been a recent change). Shorter connection times will likely result in not being able to check luggage through to one's final destination. Or if US Air's arrival in SXM is late enough to cause one to have to spend the night in SXM, it gives the passenger more leverage to argue that US Air should pay for the night's lodging.

Mille mercis, Tim ! Same thing had happened to us on US Air/Winair connection. I'd never known it without your heads up.

The problem was that Winair had changed the times associated with existing flight numbers but had not adjusted the existing reservations to the new flight numbers corresponding to the reserved times. Not particularly on-the-ball but not ill-intentioned either. A phone call to USAIR then one to Winair then back to USAir fixed all.

One trick I've learned over the years is to book my Winair flight at least 2 hours after my scheduled arrival in SXM. It's a lot easier to get on an earlier flight than to have to stand by for a later one if you do miss your connection.

Phil

A US Air/Winair connection to SBH in less than 60 minutes and from SBH in less than 90 minutes are "illegal" connections(unless there's been a recent change). Shorter connection times will likely result in not being able to check luggage through to one's final destination. Or if US Air's arrival in SXM is late enough to cause one to have to spend the night in SXM, it gives the passenger more leverage to argue that US Air should pay for the night's lodging.
Ah. Illegal to me means some type of criminal activity. I didn't put it into a flight connection meaning. A new definition.

We check all our flights to anywhere often. Delta has a bad habit of changing reservations. We've also had the same thing happen with USAir.

Good advice, Tim. I just got notice that our AA flight for our November trip has changed-- but with the opposite problem. We get into SXM a half hour earlier, and now our layover there is 2.5 hrs. Hoping Winair can get us on an earlier flight! They did this for us last year.

AA has changed some flights between JFK and SJU, too. It plays havoc with connections. I check frequently even though they usually send a message about changes.

Flying AA next month, for our mini vacation to Provo, Turks for the first time in MANY years...have to go from Boston to Miami..UGH! Only one hour layover but from what I see, we're within the same terminal for our flight out of MIA. It will be a true test for sure with such a short turnaround.

Tim - I have been checking flights every other day. It's great advice

Emma,

If you're concerned about your connect time in MIA then consider American's Five Star concierge service. It's pricey, but they do take good care of you.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/fivestarservice.jsp

Thanks Kev - I did look into that but just don't think I'm willing to spend the bucks for this trip. Should we miss the connection (and I'm sincerely hoping we don't) there is another flight out from MIA but quite a bit later. I'll take the chance this time. I always fly out of MHT, even when going to SBH, but this trip was booked through AmEx and it didn't make any sense to go out of NH with them and what they were offering. We do know where the Admiral's Lounge is at MIA so I guess we could always drink til that next flight :tongue: Stay tuned.

My experience is that the Admirals Club lounges in MIA are overcrowded, and at least one has an external overflow area. Still, it's the best port in a storm.

an hour can be tight in Miami as the gates can be pretty far apart, but leaving the States you have a chance, going back not possible... but 5 Star Service might really be worth it to not take any chances, we have loved using them!

You are all lucky that you are not forced to fly LIAT (Leave Island AnyTime). Last week they changed my non stop from St Thomas to St Maarten to include a nice little jaunt down to Antigua. Now we get in too late to make the last flight to St Barts and must overnight in SXM. They take no financial responsibilty but did offer a full refund, however there is no other way to get there. Trying to just look at it as an extra days vacation. Anyone have a favorite restaurant in St Maarten that I don't need a reservation for since it will be tonight?

Thanks, Tim. We did just get time changes from AA for our upcoming trips. Had to do some quick dancing with Winair, relatively easier this far in advance. The change was AA, not Winair.

Also looks like AA has modified flight #s. From what I'm seeing for the 2014 trip 660/667 are now 1596 (same flight # in both directions, no less?).