CHECK YOUR RESERVATIONS!

Thankfully, the one hour connection in MIA takes place on our way to Provo...coming back we have almost three hours which I think will be time to clear customs and make the returning flight...fingers crossed. I'm hoping that if we get through all that and have time to kill, that the Admirals Club will be an option. Our flight numbers have all changed since we booked our flights and I am keeping a close eye on them.

You are all lucky that you are not forced to fly LIAT (Leave Island AnyTime). Last week they changed my non stop from St Thomas to St Maarten to include a nice little jaunt down to Antigua. Now we get in too late to make the last flight to St Barts and must overnight in SXM. They take no financial responsibilty but did offer a full refund, however there is no other way to get there. Trying to just look at it as an extra days vacation. Anyone have a favorite restaurant in St Maarten that I don't need a reservation for since it will be tonight?

Pat,

An alternative may be to fly Tradewind Aviation direct from STT to SBH. It won't be cheap, and at this last minute it may be too late, but it may be an option.

Pat,

An alternative may be to fly Tradewind Aviation direct from STT to SBH. It won't be cheap, and at this last minute it may be too late, but it may be an option.

That is certainly a good option, and if not possible, do you arrive in SXM too late to take the ferry to SBH.. might be a better idea than overnighting if LIAT is willing to refund...

Thanks for the suggestions. We were stuck in the STT airport for 8 hours before LIAT would let us out of that tiny 60 degree waiting room and fly us to Anguilla. Too late for last ferry to SXM so they did put us up overnight. On the first Anguilla ferry to SXM, taxi to airport and on the 10am Winair. Arrived in a downpour. Nerves shattered and have been sitting in SVV watching the rain and sipping rose ever since. Today I am ready to face the small part of the world called St Barths.

Verifying regularly ones' flights can avoid serious aggravations on flight days or even trip interruptions. I'm going to stick this reminder at the top of the Travel Forum.

Frequent flyers should use Tripit.com -- continuously monitors and sends (text or email) updates. Sign up, forward your itineraries to plans@tripit.com and enjoy!

Frequent flyers should use Tripit.com -- continuously monitors and sends (text or email) updates. Sign up, forward your itineraries to plans@tripit.com and enjoy!
Even tells you if you can get a refund from a fare reduction. They net against change fee and tell you if you are entitled to it.
However they don't take reservations from Tradewinds

Even when I was Chairman's with US Air, I seldom got communications on flight changes. I've been "Preferred" status now for 8 years or so.

I just discovered another flight change that made for an illegal connection with Winair in SXM. Thankfully, Winair corrected the mistake with just a phone call.

US Air just made minor changes to their flight schedules RIC to SXM in January and February. For tight connections, these minor changes can be problematic.

That happened to us too! We had a flight change with Winair also. They put us at the end of the day ( 5:30 pm!) we were to go out at 3:15 p, but that would leave us only 30 minutes from arriving SXM from US AIRways. Anyway, all the earlier flights from 4:15 pm + were sold out by the time we were informed. It's a hard place to get to!

Korcutt- if you have about 2 hours in SXM try the renamed Executive Lounge- at the opposite end from the Winair gate- it's $20 and has free wifi, snacks, drinks and comfortable chairs.

Executive lounge.jpg

That happened to us too! We had a flight change with Winair also. They put us at the end of the day ( 5:30 pm!) we were to go out at 3:15 p, but that would leave us only 30 minutes from arriving SXM from US AIRways. Anyway, all the earlier flights from 4:15 pm + were sold out by the time we were informed. It's a hard place to get to!

Check in with Winair when you arrive in SXM, and there's a good chance they'll put you on an earlier flight.

I've never used Turbe for personal reasons. I use Gumbs exclusively, for what it's worth. Odile Gumbs takes good care of me.