• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Un Peu Plus de Français

cassidain

Senior Insider
No 2

Same rules, Pascale, Islander, Rosita, Ellen, DidierB, DaddyleCool, et al, n'hésitez pas à corriger mes fautes de français. :)

Expressions of Gratitude

Merci - everybody knows this one. the universal “thank you”.

Merci bien - just a bit more than plain “merci”. I like this a lot. the best translation I’ve seen is “thank you kindly”.

Merci beaucoup - and, everybody knows this one, too. used when you want to be more exuberant with your expression of gratitude. not over-the-top, it’s used quite commonly.

Mille mercis - I would reserve this for more heart-felt expression of gratitude. for when someone has done something particularly special for you.

C’est vraiment gentil(le) de votre part - if you’re feeling a bit ambitious and want to move up to an entire sentence, this formula is perfect for acknowledging someone’s kindness or thoughtfulness.

Responses to Expressions of Gratitude

Je vous en prie - the standard and formal formula for “you’re welcome”. old french like old english would have you saying something like “I beg you to think nothing of it” or something of the sort. this is that kind of expression. as un étranger especially, it seems appropriate to use in most contexts.

De rien - probably the most commonly used non-formal expression for “you’re welcome”. another is “(il n’y a) pas de quoi”, but there seems to be some difference of opinion from frenchman to frenchman as to the tone and interpretation of this expression. as un étranger, I would use “de rien” in casual contexts and for rather insignificant matters.

C’est moi (qui vous remercie) - used as a polite response to an expression of gratitude to turn the “thanks” around. for example, you’ve just spent a very enjoyable evening dining out, and the restaurant owner says, “merci”, as you’re leaving, you might say in response, “c’est moi (qui vous remercie)”.

To Accept an Offer

Oui, s’il vous plaît - this is the perfectly straightforward, “yes, please”. “another glass of wine, monsieur?”...”oui, s’il vous plaît”.

Je veux bien - used to accept an offer in a rather neutral tone similar to the above.

Volontiers - a more enthusiastic “yes” to an offer. more like “gladly”. perhaps more suitable to accept an offer to join someone for dinner or an afternoon on their sailboat than the offer of a second glass of wine.

Avec plaisir - similar to “volontiers”. another enthusiastic “yes”. literally “with pleasure”.

To Turn Down an Offer

Non, merci - the universal “no, thank you”.

Merci, mais non - similar to the above but slightly more stridently polite.

Non, mais merci quand même - even slightly more emphasis on expressing your appreciation of the turned down offer.

note: alas, I think in order to turn down the afternoon yachting excursion politely you’ll have to resort to English as I think that would run into a complete sentence or two.

25-30 years ago I was informed that “pas de quoi” wasn't sufficient, and I really needed to include the “il n’y a”, making the full phrase "il n’y a pas de quoi”. I don't know if I ran into a particularly persnickety Frenchwoman, the French Language Police, or what. But I no longer say just “pas de quoi”.

Kevin, you're right "pas de quoi/pas d'quoi" is familiar... Whole sentence is better "il n'y a pas de quoi".
Cassidian, très bon travail :)

Merci beacoup, Didier. Once we have met, I will be more comfortable saying merci bien, or just merci.

Bravo Cassidain, vous maniez parfaitement ces expressions et leur sens "second". Congratulations and thank you for your interest in Moliere's language.

Bravo Cassidain, vous maniez parfaitement ces expressions et leur sens "second". Congratulations and thank you for your interest in Moliere's language.

Speaking of Molière, here's a good one for all the fracnophiles out there:

Une corneille perchée sur la racine de la bruyère boit l'eau de la fontaine Molière

How many great 17th century authors are named in this play on words?

Guess those student loans that paid for a French lit class or two were worth it - 6. What'd I win?

(Racine, La Bruyère, Corneille, Boileau, La Fontaine, Molière)

"non, merci"

No 2

To Turn Down an Offer

Non, merci - the universal “no, thank you”.

Query to those who have French as their langue maternelle: maybe it is a regional thing, or even antiquated, but I’m a little reluctant to use “Non, merci” as the default for “No, thank you.” The context in which I often hear it used by native-speakers is more emphatic, even chiding—like when a parent is correcting a child. N'est-ce pas?

Scsiv (hard name to pronounce ...) , don't be ashamed; you can use "Non, merci" as often as you want, it is quite standard and very polite, just as "No, thank you". I would appreciate that one of my youngest daughters answer more often "Non, merci" by the way.

note: alas, I think in order to turn down the afternoon yachting excursion politely you’ll have to resort to English as I think that would run into a complete sentence or two.

C'eût été avec plaisir, mais je suis sujet(te) au mal de mer.... :cool:

Keep up the good work Cass!

le_reve

Merci bien, parce que j'ai besoin du pratiquer

Merci bien, parce que j'ai besoin de pratiquer

Ah au fait, c'est: le rêve

Welcome to the forum!

who "her" ? le français is a masculine noun for the French language, so in French it would be "he" although in English you would normally say "it"...

but not be to confused with the french word "langue" for language (literally "tongue") which is indeed feminine...

so if you say the French language, it becomes la langue française...

no wonder it's confusing!