Looking for Info on Turks

NHDiane

Senior Insider
A very close friend of mine has her heart set on visiting Providenciales, Turks and Caicos this September and has asked me for some guidance. Unfortunately, my last trip there was many years ago and I'm not much help. So, I figured I'd throw it out here and see what any of you might be able to provide for up-to-date info. Here's what she and her fiance are looking for.. ON the beach, at least one on site restaurant/bar, pool, excellent/quality accommodations. They aren't into many activities, just want a great spot to sun and relax. Any help would be appreciated.

Can't help with the places, but remember that recently two Americans were "set up" by a baggage screener placing a single bullet in their carry ons and resulted in jail time/ fines.....

Hey NHDiane. We have been 7 times in the past 4 years. What is the budget? While it isn't SBH, we do enjoy PLS and it is a very easy trip from our home in Dallas.

Hey NHDiane. We have been 7 times in the past 4 years. What is the budget? While it isn't SBH, we do enjoy PLS and it is a very easy trip from our home in Dallas.

Hey Tam - Thanks, sounds like your info would be much more up to date than mine. Budget is pretty flexible - she/they tend to go more for the higher end places to stay and enjoy a really nice meal out too.

Can't help with the places, but remember that recently two Americans were "set up" by a baggage screener placing a single bullet in their carry ons and resulted in jail time/ fines.....

I guess I either forgot about this or never heard of it...got any on-line links to the incident??

Well, guess who's going to Turks?? After spending time with my friend discussing her trip, my husband came up with the idea of tagging along with them so we're heading there for a short trip in September. We have been trying so hard to get a trip to SBH put together but all we have is 4 days and that just won't do..just not enough time. I can't believe we're missing another year without being on that isle. :( So, flights to and from Turks takes half the time and since we're craving the sight of white beaches and palm trees this is as close as we can come. We're booked at the Seven Stars resort and it looks fabulous. The last time we were on the island was 20 years ago, for our honeymoon, so this will be special for us. Tammwi?? or anyone else,.. Got some suggestions for "don't miss" restaurants, etc.?

Well, guess who's going to Turks?? After spending time with my friend discussing her trip, my husband came up with the idea of tagging along with them so we're heading there for a short trip in September. We have been trying so hard to get a trip to SBH put together but all we have is 4 days and that just won't do..just not enough time. I can't believe we're missing another year without being on that isle. :( So, flights to and from Turks takes half the time and since we're craving the sight of white beaches and palm trees this is as close as we can come. We're booked at the Seven Stars resort and it looks fabulous. The last time we were on the island was 20 years ago, for our honeymoon, so this will be special for us. Tammwi?? or anyone else,.. Got some suggestions for "don't miss" restaurants, etc.?

NHDIANE perhaps there is a Turks online forum where you could be a poster and get some valuable info

Yes, there are several forums I've hit up, one being Trip Advisor....but, I only use those as a guideline as I don't have the "insider edge" I do with this group. I value opinions here (well, most of them anyway) :D Bob, we always travel to the Caribbean in the middle of hurricane season mainly because rates are so good. And, it was the only time we could get away from work. Our month for SBH trips is usually October. For the last 25 years, we have only experienced two trip interruptions and/or rebooking and consider ourselves among those that roll the dice and win. Sure hope the streak continues.

Yes, there are several forums I've hit up, one being Trip Advisor....but, I only use those as a guideline as I don't have the "insider edge" I do with this group. I value opinions here (well, most of them anyway) :D Bob, we always travel to the Caribbean in the middle of hurricane season mainly because rates are so good. And, it was the only time we could get away from work. Our month for SBH trips is usually October. For the last 25 years, we have only experienced two trip interruptions and/or rebooking and consider ourselves among those that roll the dice and win. Sure hope the streak continues.

Yep October is far better for missing hurricanes than September.

Di please look up my good Rasta friend Stanley Roots...He plays Reggae/Soca all over the island...He always played at Ship Ahoy for Reggae night back in the day before he moved out of area...Hes really good.

NHDiane,

Sorry I am so late responding....life has been a whirl since we came back from SBH on Tuesday. So glad to read that you are going to Turks and Caicos. We have love it there...not our SBH but my second love!

Grace Bay Club is awesome for hotel as is Gansevoort and Beach House. All have fab restaurants.
The Villas are more "condo style" than SBH. We love Villa Renaissance, The Regent and Pinnacle. Westbay Club is another favorite.

We always check a soft side cooler with cheeses, booze and various snacks. Several friends of ours throw in frozen steaks, poultry etc in if they plan to do dinner in. Groceries can be stupid prices there although both IGA's are very nice and have everything you need. Shopping is exactly like home and isnt near as much fun as SBH. Since Match became Marche, I have been going to L'Oasis to play the cheese guessing game. The premiums on liquor in PLS are shocking at times. Beer is up to $42 a case and wine is almost double of US prices. The big wine store on the Leeward Highway has the best selections. As I have status on American, we dont pay to check bags so I always throw the zip cooler into the bags and save a few $$ on the essentials such as Grey Goose and Makers Mark.

As for dining:

Coco Bistro is the absolute best. This is our second night/last night spot always. Reservations are a must and Stewart/Stephen will confirm via email. Really spicy unique Caesar salad is beyond yummy

Bay Bistro is our second favorite and Clive is a brilliant chef. This place is at a funky old motel but do not let it scare you. The coffee rubbed ahi is to die for.

Las Brisas for lunch one day. Out on the salt pond and the pool looks straight out of my Big Fat Greek Wedding. The food is fantastic and we always do several tapas and wine for lunch. The Brie with honey is a must! Wouldnt venture out there at night. Kinda scary roads and not well lit.

The Vix in the Regent shopping area has one of the best burgers I have ever had. I am generally not a burger girl on an island but it really is awesome!

Caicos Cafe is another favorite. My husband could eat their Escargot every day!

Chinson Grille Shack has the best jerk chicken. Dont let the atmosphere scare you! Great for Takeaway!

Magnolia has a beautiful view and a very interesting wine list. Tracy is a lovely host and reservations again are a must.

The tasting menu at Beach House is a culinary adventure that you should not miss.

Le Bouchon opened just as we were leaving in April but our chef friends said it is great.

Our favorite beach bar is Somewhere cafe.... great Tex Mex and awesome drinks. WE ADORE the staff there and Amy the owner is an amazing pastry chef so have some dessert.

Pizza Pizza is our first night "Andy's" The pizza is really great but the place is void of a character like Andy, the service is bleh and for some reason they always play the weather channel on the TV at the bar. They deliver too...

Last but not least, we discovered Baci this trip at the marina. Really good...been there forever but somehow we missed it.

Skip the Conch Shack.... not worth the drive or hype. Bleh at best. Bugaloos is better but still again not worth the drive.

There has been a recent wave of crime but still a very safe island. I dont wear my jewerly like I would in SBH and you just have to be smart. Walking on the beach at night has been where most of the incidents have occured but there is also a woman/child out towards Las Brisas that pretend to be distressed and when the car stops, 2 men jump out and car jack.

Hope this helps. You will love PLS and the commute time from the states is so easy. We have a direct on Saturday out of Dallas for 4:50 or a quick connection through MIA so we have been frequently the last couple of years.

NHDiane just like you and with busy schedules we were not able to schedule a St Bart trip this year. So we are headed to Turks also. We are leaving on July 31. We have never been to Turks and like you said the flight time is much shorter than going to St. Barts.

Tammwi thanks for posting the detailed restaurant information. It will sure come in handy for us.

We are traveling with my son, daughter-in-law, granddaughter, and other son.

Val

Thanks Amy. Looking forward to a long over due getaway.

Thanks again for the information Tammwi.

Val

Tammwi - thanks so much for all the info. We'll consider it all, but since we're only at the Seven Stars Resort for 5 nights (we added one) we will have to jam a lot into those days. It will be interesting to return after all this time and we're happy that we can at least get away for this "short version" vacation. You mentioned a recent wave of crime, is there any police presence on the island?? Peter, your friend Stanley sounds like someone I would love to meet so I'll keep my eye out for spots where he may be performing.

Police presence is definately around. Seven is just down from our house at Villa Renaissance. Just be mindful and not flashy. From Seven, you can walk to almost all the places I mentioned with ease. Enjoy!