BOSTON Top Pick?

NHDiane

Senior Insider
I'm considering a quick trip to Boston for a full day and night. I have my favorite hotels and/or restaurants to choose from but, I'm curious to hear from those familiar with the city just where your first choice would be to stay as well as have a "special" dinner that evening. Any suggestions?

I have stayed at Back Bay Hotel as well. Reasonably priced, friendly staff, comfortable beds. Walking distance to a lot of bars/restaurants, as well as the T (subway). We loved Island Creek Oyster Bar, Neptune Oyster Bar and Coppa.

I stay at a friends rental apartment in the a North End, but if I had to do a hotel it would be

Marriot Long Wharf....very nice and on the harbor and right in the middle of everywhere and everything..

The new Legals Harborside is pretty amazing...not the one by the Aquarium ( that I always go to ) but the one further south along the waterfront.....much more upscale

Union Oyster House is always a must for us....

La Voille is very nice..but I would eat in the North End at Mamma Marias for a special occasion

http://www.mammamaria.com/

I stay at a friends rental apartment in the a North End, but if I had to do a hotel it would be

Marriot Long Wharf....very nice and on the harbor and right in the middle of everywhere and everything..

The new Legals Harborside is pretty amazing...not the one by the Aquarium ( that I always go to ) but the one further south along the waterfront.....much more upscale

Union Oyster House is always a must for us....

La Voille is very nice..but I would eat in the North End at Mamma Marias for a special occasion

http://www.mammamaria.com/
Make a reservation at either La Voile or Mamma Maria

BTW- how is the wharf in the middle of everything?? It's at the end of everything. Anyway she's going to be there one day and one night. So much for in the middle of anything.

fanueil hall..north end...quincy market...waterfront area...all right there..I meant to say the middle of everything in that part of the city though

we get a special deal for the Ritz when we go to the buyers retail shows there, and we ve done that a few times and thats nice and all, right by the park etc and Newbury St ...but we really prefer the waterfront section

Thanks to those that chimed in...have not stayed at Back Bay but I'll take a look at that one should we decide to take this 24 hour break. Also, never dined at LaVoile so will check that one out as well. LOVE the North End and almost always have dinner there so thought we might try another location that was new to us. Tough to make a choice when there are so many great places to dine and stay!

top restos in North End ....

Mamma Marias
Piccolo Venezia
Giacomos
Artu

and you gotta go some for me to eat Italian food out at a resto

If you like eating with the people from the next table in your lap go to Giacomos. :uncomfortableness:

yeah I had heard they ve gotten crowded..and they dont take reservations either...which is why we dont go very often but when we have during a quiet time, the meal was outstanding

It was our intention to go to Giacomo until I saw how crowded it was. If you had to go to the bathroom half the restaurant would have to get up. I found Mamma Maria by wandering around.

I miss Pat's Pushcart! Anybody remember that gem??? The big dig put them out of business but it was my all-time favorite place. talk about dining with someone on your lap....but it was worth it.

I just returned home from four nights in Boston. We had a perfect stay at Nine Zero, a Kimpton property. (I am a huge Kimpton fan.) The hotel is on Tremont a block from the Commons and the Park T stop. We were able to walk to the Back Bay, North End, Beacon Hill, South End and the harbor area from the hotel. I thought the location was as central as you could get.

We walked to the North End one night for dinner at Bicco with friends who live in the North End. It was very good, but not wow. We also dined at No. 9 Park in Beacon Hill which was wonderful, Erbaluce which I thought was fantastic and better than Bicco, we had brunch at Aquitaine in the South End which was very good, a casual breakfast at Tatte in Cambridge which was really delicious (we had the cream and thyme Shakshura) and enjoyed Catalyst in Cambridge (the tenderloin with foie gras butter was heavenly). We also had great lobsters and lobster sandwiches at a local hole in the wall in Cambridge called Alive and Kickin. Needless to say, we are eating lightly this week.

I also highly recommend Hammersley's Bistro - a Boston classic in the South End. Their roasted chicken was Julia Child's favorite and is fantastic. The Gaslight in the South End - same owners as Aquitaine - has a wonderful brunch.