A Dozen Simple Ways to Serve the Perfect Scallop

Indeed, I think they traveled there in his luggage.

probably...there is such a HUGE difference between eating scallops caught that day as opposed to even one or two days out...scallops do not age well....

Thanks for the scallop shout out folks. Kona has traveled with scallops that he caught the day before. We also FED EX them and have been lucky to always get them in a day. Nice to see someone else pointing out the bloated water down method used by sleazy fish mongers try to add weight. Kona's are sealed in their juice and are sent out FEX EX the same day they are caught. Nothing like ACK Bay Scallops (Mike may not agree as I know he likes sea scallops too). We did a day boat sea scallop short rib duet plate for a rehearsal dinner Friday night. The MOG just called and had me tearing up after relating the feed back from her guests (in a good way:) We were going to use ACK Bays but I asked to change the menu a few weeks out as the only bays we have are frozen. MOST people would be hard pressed to have known they were frozen but we did, which takes away from the farm to table thing Kona has going on with his catch. He does not dive for these other than "family season" which is October out here where folks who pay for a family permit are allowed to get enough scallops a week to make a nice family meal. Commercial season starts the 1st Monday of the month of November. kr

MOST people would be hard pressed to have known they were frozen but we did, which takes away from the farm to table thing Kona has going on with his catch.

amen...but watch out,.... you re going to get chastised...LOL

I like bay scallops a lot...I especially like them in an omelette with chives and salsa...but I m a sea scallop first fan...

amen...but watch out,.... you re going to get chastised...LOL

I like bay scallops a lot...I especially like them in an omelette with chives and salsa...but I m a sea scallop first fan...
Bay scallops with cream, butter and Parmesan over home made fettuccine

Interesting thread that I just shared with Kona who does not follow this site. He was surprised about the searing in butter concept as he stated that he uses vegetable oil which has a higher smoking point than butter or olive oil which would make the searing process better for the scallop. Andy, I like your simple pasta with scallops. Mike, the omelette sounds lovely. Sadly, I don't eat eggs so I will not be able to test this recipe. kr

Kona is right but the little amount of bacon fat added to the butter gives it a higher smoke point, and the flavor imparted by bacon fat and butter blows away the flavor imparted by veggie oil

scallops also work really well with a citrus and brandy reduction over fettuccine with just a touch of hot pepper flakes

amen.....also peanut oil or grapeseed oil with butter would give you that nice high smoke point for a high temp sear...but the pig works for me

Nantucket bay scallops with a squeeze of lemon juice right out of the shell. Kona and K - thanks for what you do!