• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

French phrases and ways! Numéro Un

pascaleschmidt

Senior Insider
Tim, our fearless leader, kindly requested I post a French phrase or culturally relevant item each Friday. This could be fun and help some learn more French or the ways around a Francophile world!
I am French, live in the US, but am always reminded on my trips to St Barts and any Francophile location to say:"bonjour" very loudly when I enter a store and when I forget, the individual in the establishment will quickly remind me with a "Bonjour Madame". And of course as I exit , a loud:"au revoir. Bonne journée !" Is my reply. (Au revoir: see you!)( bonne journée: good day! )
Simplistic but quintessential. Makes for good diplomacy!

Merci. See I learned already :). I always speak the common greetings in French and always SVP when asking for the check in a restaurant. Good idea tho. The hardest part is the pronunciation- hard to do in print.

The hardest part is the pronunciation- hard to do in print.

Install the Google Translate Tab and "she" will speak any word "she" translated.

Screen Shot 2013-05-03 at 9.55.31 AM.jpg

Available for WinDoze as well/

Pascale,

Thank you for agreeing to help educate the forum! I've also noticed that saying "bonjour" is used when entering places of business such as banks, post offices, etc.

This is what we do as well, bonjour on entering and then quickly followed by a "good morning/afternoon" in English so they know that I do not speak French. Same for leaving . It just sets the tone and is always appreciated.

Thank you- I have Google Translate on all machines. My problem is forgetting what I heard in 10 minutes. :)

This is our custom both in St. Barts and when we have traveled to France. Americans are much better received when we are overtly polite! (the rude ones ruin it for the rest of us) Funny part is I get in such a habit of it I often forget I am back in the US and try to say Bonjour when I enter a store back home for a few days after I return. I have even asked a waitress for "le Toilette" once after returning home. Got some really strange looks on that one. I could love to hear a French perspective on the rules of etiquette around asking to use the restroom and what is the best way to say it without being rude...especially if not a customer and a little desperate.. Maybe one for another Friday.

Merci, Madame, and I am very much looking forward to see you in a few weeks. We can work on pronunication then.

And as anything, if anyone has ideas, suggestions or questions all could learn from, let me know! Bonsoir! ( good evening).

Mon amie, perhaps while on the topics of bonjour, bonne journée, and au revoir you could instruct all of us on the proper usage their nocturnal cousins bonsoir, bonne soirée and bonne nuit.
Par avance, merci.

P.-S. personally, my habit is to greet the storekeeper in your example with, bonjour, madame/monsieur/mademoiselle.
I have been instructed that the more personalized salutation is traditional and appreciated. Tu ne trouves pas ?

the only tricky part with the madame/mademoiselle choice is the following: you may offend the woman who is married if you call her mademoiselle and you may really offend the woman who is not married by calling her madame.... so in many cases unless you are sure of their marital status, stick to a simple "bonjour"!

Mon amie, perhaps while on the topics of bonjour, bonne journée, and au revoir you could instruct all of us on the proper usage their nocturnal cousins bonsoir, bonne soirée and bonne nuit.
Par avance, merci.

Bonsoir: in France, to be used after 6:00 pm but in the French West Indies locals have a tendency to say Bonsoir from after 3:00 pm (or so). It is an introduction greeting (good evening)
Bonne soirée: typically to be used when leaving a place or someone (pm only, normally after sunset, when the night is still "young"). It could be translated as "have a good evening" or "enjoy the rest of the evening".
Bonne nuit: just like in English. Good night! Basically to be used when ready to go to bed ("sleep well"). The party is over :)

I really appreciate this thread. Please keep the lessons coming. I'm currently trying Pimsleur French I, which I was able to secure from the Philadelphia Free Library. I have very little facility for language and I am embarassed about it, so I am determined to learn at least a little before our next trip to the island. (It comes in handy here in Nice as well!)