Milan?

katva

Senior Insider
It looks like I may have to make a very quick trip to Milan next week.....any suggestions about where to stay? Doesn't need to be fancy--it would just be me. And, any restos that anyone could suggest? I have no idea of the city layout, and what area would be good to stay in (I've been once, in 11th grade...). Thanks in advance!!

stayed at the Rosa Grande.....liked it...wasnt a fan of Milan but we were on our way to Lake Como and Lugano, Switzerland and stopped for the night there...dont remember where I ate...but it was good...LOL

Yeah.....if this were a pleasure trip, Milan wouldn't be my first choice! I can't control where the furniture factory is that I need to visit....Thanks for the tip. Price sure is right!

yeah its a nice place....right in the middle of everything...and if you have time Verona is only an hour away...cool little town and you can see the famous balcony of Romeo and Juliet fame...also Lake Como is gorgeous and thats only an hour or so away too

Hmmmmm. A bucket list item of mine is to stay at the Villa d' Este at Lake Como......hmmmm. A splurge perhaps??!!??

Looks beautiful, Amy!!! This is a super quick trip--- just 2 nights ( and lots of Xanax for the flights). I will probably do a night in Milan, and thinking this may be my chance to experience Villa d'Este. They have a single room available for a "reasonable" price. I've wanted to stay there for 30+ years ( my very best friend used to stay there at least once per month, and I've heard soooo much about it). Now that I've studied the map, it looks do-able!

very doable.....

you re gonna love Lake Como...I am not a northern Italy fan at all, but I loved Lake Como

Yay! I think that will work. Now, rental car or train....... Investigating. I have to bring some fabric to theB & B Italia factory,about 45 min north of Milan, ASAP. My client is directing this, and any splurges will be " on my own" . I've never rented a car in Italy ....worth it?

well worth it.....the highways are awesome....do 70-80 and most cars will be blowing by you.......on the Autostrades are these gas stations/restaurants called Autogrill and the food is gourmet quality....kinda freaky to be able to get that kind of food at a petrol stop!

green signs are toll roads..blue signs arent...very easy system...

on tolls..get a ticket when you get on..pay when you get off

Yeah--- I did get my drivers license in Germany at 18, and am familiar with the Autostradas! So, I think this will work well....I just need to figure out the insurance (car) thing. Italy is one of the few countries that Amex doesn't cover

I so much miss my annual trips with Mom to see family....

especially since it was always on her dime...:eagerness:

I really need to take the girls

Yeah---- I happen t love northern Italy ( and the food)---- we spent so much time around Venice and in the Dolomites skiing. We also spent a month each year at Lago di Garda. Just haven't spent any time around Milan! Except for the Munich Intl School Choir trip, 1981..... Don't ask....

I am a southern Italy fan....just not a whole lot of northern Italy I liked...and I am not a Venice fan at all.....I dont get the appeal

of course it didn't help in the north when my Mom would speak Italian and they would hear the southern Sicilian dialect and look at her like she was a piece of garbage..and her Italian is flawless...English is her second language

My senior prom was in Venice.......and we spent 2-3 weeks at the beaches outside of Venice every summer.....Coming from S. California, I can say that the beaches were crappy--- but e life and family experiences were priceless!! Celebrating my dads 90th last week,we cracked up over so many Italy stories. He bought a 10 meter
camper/ trailer, which we pulled behind a Chevy Van........ Imagine pulling up to the Swiss border. They told us that there was room to turn around ,but not room on the roads .

it was a magical, truly magical childhood! After sailing to the South Pacific...... Think Griswald Family vacation ......seriously!!!