where's the beach?

MIke R

Senior Insider
this satellite image tells the story....look at the clear picture in January and then all the beach sand sediment in the water the following month

chatham2.jpg

and all this shifting sand has exposed this yet to be named wreckage...it has wooden pegs instead of nails so it is very very old

chatham.jpg

Thank you. The breaches are fascinating...Katama/Chappaquiddick on Martha's Vineyard changes all the time - the forces of the water are amazing.

the sand always travels south...unless there are jetties, like on Plum Island (MA not NY). Mike there was an article in the Codder about the guy who founded Safe Harbors. He has a plan/theory on how to rebuild dunes that they are using at Ballston. Which, btw, the dune has been built back up with sand that was robbed from Head of the Meadow. I don't understand how this is being done with the NS reg's and all. As you can imagine it's causing all kinds of talk. The duck camps/dunes have to go to nature but not at Ballston. I'm not understanding it.

We have board piece we found that may or may not have a wooden peg in it. Honestly it's hard to tell since there are knots in the wood as well but it's curved on one side and flat on the other.

My avatar is the "new inlet" breach on Fire Island....oddly enough, exactly where the "old inlet" circa 1900 or so used to be.

Major fight going on...I got a phone call last week from the guy running the "Save the Great South Bay" campaign who objected to my comment that the clarity of the water is NOT due to the nice clean ocean water coming into the bay...it's ALWAYS clear in the spring, b4 the ferries and powerboaters stir it up....

It's in a wilderness area, which the Park Svce swears not to mess with...at the same time, it makes Fire Dept and emergency services impossible to deliver to the residents of the eastern part of the island.

Hmm. Fish vs people. My $$$'s on the fish.

I hate to burst your bubble....but the water is always clear in the winter up here because its too cold for many plankton to reproduce...in the spring when the surface waters warm up and the sun is strong on the surface, we get a plankton bloom..an explosion of them....which cuts the vis down considerably....

pre plankton bloom I can see clear to the bottom at high tide where the boat is docked, and its every bit of ten to twelve feet deep....as soon as the bloom occurs, cant see the bottom at all.....and throughout most of the summer....

you can tell when the bloom is occurring because the ocean has this great smell like fresh cut melons