Cape pics after big storms...erosion

sbhlvr

Senior Insider
Driving down the road to the beach lot in front of the (Wellfleet) Beachcomber

P1060075.jpg

P1060082.jpg

These guys are looking down to the beach. There used to be a path cut into the dune/bluff to walk down....It doesn't look too far but it has to be at least 50 feet down.

P1060076.jpg

Looking a bit unstable.

P1060081.jpg

Here are some of Ballston Beach, Truro, where the ocean met the Pamet River and marsh behind what used to be a dune.

P1060087.jpg

P1060088.jpg

P1060092.jpg

P1060119.jpg

Here are some of Nauset Beach in my town of East Orleans. Not only did the dunes get eroded from the ocean but winds pushed so much sand into the parking lot/admin bldg and Liams Clam Shack. The bandstand is completely surrounded, you don't need the stairs to walk up to it. The first row of parking spots is under at least 4' of sand.The shower area is completely buried.

P1060147.jpg

P1060148.jpg

P1060149.jpg

This pretty much says it all

P1060126.jpg

wow....cant believe Liams!

what the heck are they going to do???..
there is no fix by Memorial Day..thats for sure

Mike I spoke to my dad on Sunday and he read in the local paper that Liam's wasn't going to open anymore. This was before this last storm. The building was going to be removed. Maybe it's too old and in rough shape, it's been there forever. However, then he read that it would be open for one more season and that's it. Now my dad is 86.5 and sometimes gets confused so I'm not sure that is completely true. I'm going to do some searching on the web. Honestly, I can't believe that there won't be any kind of food shack there.
As far as getting the sand out from around the building, it might not be that bad if they use a front end loader. All the picnic tables are stored on their sides infront of the building actually protecting the building from all the sand that you see. Hopefully the town can get the loader to come in and take all the sand and put it back on the beach. Lord knows we could use it.

I spent some time yesterday digging 2-3 ft of sand off my walkway on Fire Island...had some guys under the house digging out 3-4 ft of sand that the overwash deposited.

I feel your pain. Time to re-rewire. (Of course, just rewired last summer). Have seaweed/beach grass hanging from the romex under the house.

Next house? Santa Fe, NM....LOL

Funny. Take it one chore at a time. Wishing you well as you try to recover your home on Fire Island.

Mike when you put her back in the water. I am off to look at one this week in Michigan

she has to go in by April 30th or I start getting whacked with extra charges...so we are planning on spashing her in and bringing her to ptown the last week of April after i get back from a trade show in Florida