Live from North America

you have got to be out of your mind.....

wana talk to my wife about the norovirus???

we just did that happy dance, complete with a hospital ride at 3 A.M.

drink heavily.I think it kills the bug

actually if you just go to the pay extra wait staff serviced restaurants I believe you would significantly reduce your chances of getting the bug as opposed to being in a room witha few thousand people all handling everything

when I had to go with my Mom...we did room serviced breakfast....lunch in town in whatever port we were in....and dinner at the pay extra restaurants, and that really minimized the pain for me

actually if you just go to the pay extra wait staff serviced restaurants I believe you would significantly reduce your chances of getting the bug as opposed to

being in a room witha few thousand people all handling everything

I disagree. The more you go out and are exposed to the air and touch things tbat sick people touched you are more likely to get sick.

yes we are agreeing...Im just saying its less exposure in the pay for restos.....not be all end all...just less

They objected to a rugby shirt?

It was the wrong team :) Golden-green shirt is for Ozzie's Wallabies. I don't know a thing about rugby but All Blacks has a great branding.

Last cruising day tomorrow, we'll head to Key West next.

I think DC will be on schedule for June. L liked the idea of chilled VC..

Hmm.. really should trip report something but there seems to be lack of spare time on the computer :)

Belize required a bit too much planning where exactly to go so as the US government prefers us to leave for a while, we decided to head to the Caribbean.

We'll be heading to St. Lucia, Bequia and some other places in that area before returning to the US. Not exactly the US tournee we thought but at least we're still in North America and we can always blame the weather.

Here in Miami we did some bicycling with alligators at the Everglades National Park -- quite fun.

DSC04021.jpg

Also did some purchases for our return to the US so that we get actually something done. We could have bought the annual pass already in Hawaii but well.. didn't.

DSC04035.jpg

The plans for St. Lucia didn't go as well as planned. I noticed a full board rate on Expedia/hotels.com at Anse Chastanet. The location and with the meals it was quite a decent deal, so I made a booking. The next day I noticed from the confirmation that there was no mention of the full board and on the booking site everything looked different for the hotel; and my rate was room only without breakfast. Tripadvisor reviews seemed to rank the food not worth the price unless on a meal plan.

I e-mailed the hotel to check my reservation and they said it was for room only. I called Expedia, explained the situation and they called the hotel -- will not cancel the reservation without charging the full amount as penalty. As it wasn't my fault the booking information was wrong, I offered to stay half the time. Again, the hotel wouldn't allow change of the reservation.

As I still had the false booking information on a web browser, I faxed a copy to Expedia's department that handles booking engine errors. I also sent the same information to the hotel. I wanted someone to take responsibility for their error. I wish.

Eventually I changed my position that I want to cancel the reservation and have a full refund and after three days of calling around with mostly promises to call back I managed to cancel the reservation without penalties. That was how far anyone was willing to admit there had been an error. So we won't be staying at Anse Chastanet (or Jade Mountain) -- ever.

I'd like hotels to consider internet access as basic as power outlets.

We have been in quite a few (read: a lot of) places with a stupid, mandatory "Resort fee" that includes things like beach towels and usually internet access (which would otherwise cost $15/day). Our previous hotel went even further, they did charge the Resort Fee but the internet access was only in the lobby -- in-room WiFi was still extra $15/day -- which I resisted at check out and they did remove the charge.

Just now our Verizon MiFi device stopped working. Instead of connecting anywhere it's giving the Mobile Broadband registration page that fails. I have no idea what's up, perhaps we have managed to use our $180 prepaid credit in just three weeks -- as there's no way to check how much data we've transferred.

Need to visit a Verizon Store somewhere tomorrow.

...as the US government prefers us to leave for a while...

Petri, I'm sure you know but you can get B-2 visitor visas (6 months) instead of 3 month ESTA. It requires an appointment at US embassy thought. With B-2 you can apply for extension of stay (I-539) while you're here... up to a year I think...

Tourism 101

or

Wealth + Vacation Euphoria = Sky High Price Resistance

or

the more they got...they more you can take...because they really dont care

is a no brainer.....and the first lesson I learned when I entered this biz 40 years ago...:eagerness:

I never thought I'd be happy to see "Free parking".

I don't know if it's the generally short vacations in the US or what but the Tourism 101 Mike mentions seems to be more prevailing here than anywhere else in the world. Not that they want to sell the banana you in other places, too, but here they want you to buy the apple as well.

The car rental agency tried to sell us the Sunpass toll device for 8$/day plus the toll charges. I went to the grocery store, bought a device for 25$, loaded some money on it and registered the rental car for it (one can define start/end date and time and there's a tick for rental).

I do enjoy avoiding the "scams" of various type :)

Petri, I'm sure you know but you can get B-2 visitor visas (6 months) instead of 3 month ESTA. It requires an appointment at US embassy thought. With B-2 you can apply for extension of stay (I-539) while you're here... up to a year I think...

It's easier to leave the country than apply for the B-2 Visa.

Now at MIA airport, ~1 hour from Miami Beach hotel through car rental center, check-in and security but still can't help wondering if 4 hours is enough for the return flight with connection here. The "work harder, not smarter" atmosphere is amazing at this particular airport.

It's easier to leave the country than apply for the B-2 Visa.
In most cases it is, but make sure you understand the 90-day rule when leaving temporarily and then re-entering. Just letting you know, because friend of mine ran into this problem when returning from Mexico thinking re-entering was going to automatically reset her 90-day stay which wasn't the case. If your current 90-day period expires while you're away, you should be fine...

VWP travelers who have been admitted under the Visa Waiver Program and who make a short trip to Canada, Mexico or an adjacent island generally can be readmitted to the United States under the VWP for the balance of their original admission period. See the Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website for additional details. Also VWP nationals resident in Mexico, Canada or adjacent islands are generally exempted from requirements to show onward travel to other foreign destinations. Learn more at the CBP website.

Hmm.. interesting. We didn't indeed go through immigration when leaving to the Caribbean.

If we had gone to Belize, that wouldn't have been "adjacent island". Let's see if the US Embassy in Finland answers to e-mail and has a recommendation. Re-entry to the VWP seems to be an option in some cases.

The other option is to a do a stupid trip to Panama or Belize, our schedule is getting pretty limited though.

The US embassy from Helsinki told to contact the embassy in Barbados which doesn't seem to answer e-mail. As we'd have only 2.5 days there to work it out, I think we'll be spending the visa money for flights to Belize or Costa Rica. Less trouble.

What are the odds for another finnish couple to arrive to this 34-room hotel? 85% of the clientele has been youngish american honeymoon couples.

Just flew through Barbados to Mustique to take advantage of the Firefly's Best of Both Worlds offer. So far very convenient place :)