NYC!

I saw that Red Hook is heating apartments via their ovens....still lots of boilers not up to speed there and many other parts of the city. So sad for these folks to be suffering for so long.

Kathy have a great trip with your son, and don't forget Macy's with the cool, old wooden escalators ! My brother was just here at my house and left on Amtrak yesterday for the city.......he had business there, but guess he picked the wrong week to leave Phoenix (82 degrees there yesterday!!!!) Have a hot pretzel for me, love 'em!

Good idea to go to the High Line---we can do that Friday before our train in the afternoon---I also hear that temps will be in the low 50's, so a perfect idea. I was thinking of going to the Apple store in Grand Central, but if it's worth it, we could go to the one on the SE corner of Central Park. Is that the one, JEK?

And yes, if we have time, Macy's --although I really don't enjoy shopping unless I have a specific item in mind.... it's what I do for a living, and I'm not the type to wander through stores at leisure---I'm in and out as fast as possible!! (my son is very glad!!) --- Thanks all!

Nice photo of the escalator, JEK ! And the high line is pretty sweet. Also Kathy, our daughter used to love to go to Lombardis pizza in her college years.....

<<Good idea to go to the High Line---we can do that Friday before our train in the afternoon---I also hear that temps will be in the low 50's, so a perfect idea. I was thinking of going to the Apple store in Grand Central,>>

The Apple store in the plaza of the GM building is, I think, their highest grossing PSF in the world...great design use of what used to be a windswept open, unappealing plaza.
In the interests of convenience, you can also hit the Apple Store on 14th St and 9th Ave....about 1.5 blocks away from the Southern terminus of the High Line.

Have FUN! Weather should be MUCH warmer next week.

OK, thanks Fred! My interest in going to the Apple store in more of a design one, not convenience or my actually wanting to buy anything, so I will go see the one at the GM plaza.

....Also, thanks JEK for the Red Cat suggestion---just made a lunch rez. for Friday---looks delicious, and a great way to end the trip. I'll post photos and a report later----fun!

The Apple Store on 5th Ave near the Park, across from the Plaza, is interesting visually, and was a great place to duck out of the wind the other day when I was in New York helping our daughter move. And the Oak Bar at the Plaza was a nice spot to warm up a bit more.

I haven't been in the Oak Bar for years. Must stop in next time I"m in the City. Thanks for the reminder and hope the move was smooth.

Thank you. I will wish her well and the move went very well. The Oak Room is now called the Rose Club - part of the big overhaul of the hotel. Very nice.

Ah, yes! The Oak Room--- how could I have forgotten that one? We will stop in after the Apple store-- Andrew should experience that too ! Glad your daughter's move went well, Rosemary.

Well, it has been a 10 so far! We took the train up, arrived in NYC around 2, did some quick shopping.....then cab over to the hotel. I can't believe what a fairy tale-like trip it has been, and we've only been here for 8 hours!

First, we were upgraded (to say the least, by far) to an absolutely amazing and beautiful and enormous suite ..the staff and service here is the best I have experienced anywhere.

After reveling in our good fortune, snapping some silly photos, and having the "discussion" regarding the $12 pretzels and other goodies in the kitchen - bar, aka minibar , we headed to the store nearby for snacks, drinks, and wine--- of course!

Refreshed, we headed out to dinner. There was a long line for cabs..... But, luck being my lady (or guy) tonight, we were offered a complimentary stretch limo up to Tao! Andrew was in heaven! So was I, watching his excitement, climbing into the thing!!!

then..... Dinner. Loved Tao!!! We had hoped to have Jeanette and her son join us, but too many circumstances prevented.... So, a table forv2 it was. And it was a great table--- overlooking the lower floor and Koi pond. We shared the Chilean Sea Bass (excellent +), and the Pad Thai --also very good. An assortment of stir-fried veggies accompanied. An outstanding meal, fun vibe, and we had a nice walk back down Park Avenue to mellow.

Best part of the day: Andrew told me that this was the best day of his life......ahhhhhhh. I'm so happy!