NYC!

katva

Senior Insider
I'm really looking forward to a trip to NYC next week--- with my 14 year old son, Andrew. This will be his first trip to the big apple! It's a semi work trip for me, and I thought it would be fun to have Andrew come along. On the agenda: suite at the Waldorf Towers (always wanted to stay there!), dinner at Tao, Empire State Building, skating at Rockefeller Plaza, carriage ride in Central Park.....work all day Thursday at the D and D Building, lunch at the Oyster Bar at Grand Central, then dinner at Lupa in the Village.....phew! Am I missing anything for a two night/3 day stay? Taking the train..... Can't wait!

Sounds like a blast! We usually stay at the Barclay on 48 and Lex so Grand Central is our "home" subway stop. Usually hit the Oyster Bar for a pre-dinner drink (and of course some oysters LOL!)

Make sure you try the Whispering Gallery, its right by the Oyster Bar.

http://www.sonicwonders.org/?p=426

We are headed there over Presidents Day weekend, can't wait!

My iPad mini is annoying me for the first time......the maps are terrible and I can't seem to load google maps on it.
MB---thanks for the tip on the gallery!
Mike---- tried to map the bar you posted(ergo the irritation with maps),---is it LES? Brooklyn? Looks great, if its convenient !

iJEK could weigh in here but Googlemaps doesn't seem to work well on Apple products since they came up with their own map product.

I know McSorleys is the oldest bar in Manhattan, but in the last few times we have been by there it looked like a huge tourist trap. I doubt you could go there with Andrew anyway. Right near there is an amazing place for Belgian beer called Burp Castle and Angel's Share is also close (lest you wonder why we were in that area....)

For a classic NYC atmosphere, try the Campbell Apartment at Grand Central since you are going there anyway. Also the bar at the Algonquin Hotel and the King Cole at the St Regis.

its downtown....by St Marks on east 7th..I spent a tremendous amount of time in NYC as a kid but I was a Downtown/Soho/Greenwich Village/Little Italy kinda person...didn't go midtown or uptown much....Katz Deli is another great downtown joint on E Houston

Thinking McSorleys will be a different trip....hot chocolate, roasted chestnuts ( my mother advised, if still offered on the streets), And the good, old- fashioned,all- American NYC tourist trip it is :).

My oldest, best friend grew up in and still lives in NYC . We have a fun evening planned; he grew up living in the Pierre, then in the Watergate in DC Then in Paris. He has a unique and very interesting view of the city. , I would nominate him for best architectural tour guide of the city!

Fun, no worries about being a tourist or too up or down town. Looking forward to it!

MB-- forgot about the bar at the Algonquian!! Good call!

P

my daughter goes to the city a lot...she likes the Brasserie midtown....among other places whose names escape me at the moment

yes the street carts rock...roasted chestnuts for sure....sabretts hot dogs...knishes.....and pretzels

Google Maps is for iPhone only

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 6.09.41 AM.jpg

Back on things to see -- Apple Store on Fifth and 59th!

Fifty two I can handle. Twelve would be a test!

That reminds me, is your son back in his apartment yet? Are the Sandy repairs completed?