Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NYC!

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 4,769
    Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Great lunch spot. Enjoy! You will be within spitting distance of the High Line too.
    Yes, the logistics work perfectly!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room :)

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2010 New England Posts: 4,295
    The Apple Store on 5th Ave near the Park, across from the Plaza, is interesting visually, and was a great place to duck out of the wind the other day when I was in New York helping our daughter move. And the Oak Bar at the Plaza was a nice spot to warm up a bit more.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,673
    I haven't been in the Oak Bar for years. Must stop in next time I"m in the City. Thanks for the reminder and hope the move was smooth.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,392
    Wish her good luck in her new apartment,Rosemary. I like the Oak Room too.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Thank you. I will wish her well and the move went very well. The Oak Room is now called the Rose Club - part of the big overhaul of the hotel. Very nice.

Ah, yes! The Oak Room--- how could I have forgotten that one? We will stop in after the Apple store-- Andrew should experience that too ! Glad your daughter's move went well, Rosemary.

Well, it has been a 10 so far! We took the train up, arrived in NYC around 2, did some quick shopping.....then cab over to the hotel. I can't believe what a fairy tale-like trip it has been, and we've only been here for 8 hours!

First, we were upgraded (to say the least, by far) to an absolutely amazing and beautiful and enormous suite ..the staff and service here is the best I have experienced anywhere.

After reveling in our good fortune, snapping some silly photos, and having the "discussion" regarding the $12 pretzels and other goodies in the kitchen - bar, aka minibar , we headed to the store nearby for snacks, drinks, and wine--- of course!

Refreshed, we headed out to dinner. There was a long line for cabs..... But, luck being my lady (or guy) tonight, we were offered a complimentary stretch limo up to Tao! Andrew was in heaven! So was I, watching his excitement, climbing into the thing!!!

then..... Dinner. Loved Tao!!! We had hoped to have Jeanette and her son join us, but too many circumstances prevented.... So, a table forv2 it was. And it was a great table--- overlooking the lower floor and Koi pond. We shared the Chilean Sea Bass (excellent +), and the Pad Thai --also very good. An assortment of stir-fried veggies accompanied. An outstanding meal, fun vibe, and we had a nice walk back down Park Avenue to mellow.

Best part of the day: Andrew told me that this was the best day of his life......ahhhhhhh. I'm so happy!

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keep having fun you two.

A day to remember

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,024
    Sounds fairy tale-esque, for sure! I'm smiling as I remember the first NYC experience I shared with each of my daughters. They STILL talk about it and remember all the little details that made it perfect for them. Way to go, SuperMom!!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

Andrew has grown so much from the boy in the Newport pictures! Have fun! There's nothing like an upgrade...

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,991
    <<Best part of the day: Andrew told me that this was the best day of his life......ahhhhhhh. I'm so happy!>

GOOD for you, and Andrew!

Now, remember, keep your wallet in your FRONT pocket and don't talk to strangers....LOL
    Neutral and Witty.

Another fantastic day in the Big Apple! Breakfast at the hotel, then off to work..... Which meant a trek back uptown to the D & D Building. Andrew was a charming and helpful assistant, and kept count of the showrooms and floors we visited. Then, lunch at Grand Central. I decided to try the fairly new Cipriani restaurant instead of the Oyster Bar. The view and atmosphere were great--- food, not so much. No worries, we enjoyed looking at the architecture and bustle of the space. Then, a walk down Lexington to the NY Design Center, and another multi- floor blitz, with Andrew being a huge help! Back up to the D & D to pick up samples, walk back to the hotel, crash for an hour......then cab downtown to Lupa. We met a close friend for a very jovial dinner--- food was excellent with an emphasis on fresh, perfect service, best Saltimboca I can recall! Cab up to the Empire State Building ( thanks Lynn for the tix!). It was blowing up a cold storm up there--- but WHAT A VIEW!!! Another 10. Tomorrow, more to come... Andrew loves it here. A trip to remember!

image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super report, Kathy.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    nice to see you re having a great trip!
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2003 CT Posts: 3,082
    Kathy, your trip reports are great and so is your timing. Grand Central is celebrating its 100 yer anniversary so you chose well when you decided to have lunch there. It is such an iconic space.

Yesterday seems like eons and miles away! Another 10 for our last day in the Big Apple.....

We slept in a bit, and enjoyed another huge, European breakfast spread in the private lounge ( can I get used to this!!!). The croissants were pretty good...Andrew liked the chocolate ones! Then, to walk off the sleep and carbs, a brisk walk uptown to Central Park. The weather was freeeezing, so we just HAD to duck into the Apple store....loved the staircase and elevator...then a jaunt across the street to show Andrew the Oak Room Bar at the Plaza. He was wowed, again...although the space was occupied by the cast and crew of the new show "Smash"----- we got a full run- down from a camera guy...no movie star sightings that I'm aware of... (I probably wouldn't recognize them anyways.....). Then, a very quick duck into Central Park....we were running out of time!

Cab down to 10th and 36th(?) to get into the Highline park. Just like when Andrew was a young child, he was more fascinated by the construction going on around the place, than the intended sight to see! We watched a guy get an 18 wheeler into a glove- tight spot for around 1/2 hr....pretty amazing!

Beautiful PEACEFUL stroll along the Highline. --- so glad we ended the trip with this! Not to be missed. Excellent lunch spot at Red Cat ---- we loved the decor, anther top-notch service spot,and wonderful comfort food.

Following lunch, cab back to the hotel, then Penn Station, then.....ahhhhhh.......sleep on the train. What a magical trip!!!

...and thanks for all of your replies! With your help, we made it a most wonderful mother/son trip :-)

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,290
    Hey Kathy,
    Great pics, you guys really hit the highlights. Andrew will be definitely wanting to come back for more! These got me in the mood for out next visit in 2 weeks. Gotta make some restaurant reservations...
    Hoping for better weather, but looks like you made the best of it.

mb

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,673
    Sounds like a great trip! We are headed up for a long weekend next weekend and may give Red Cat a try!
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,024
    Sounds like Andrew will be singing his travel agent-Momma's praises for years to come. Y'all crammed a LOT into a little time...my kind of traveler!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    very nicely done!...having grown up there I tend to take it all for granted, but your reports reminded me what a special city it is....Andrew should know how lucky he is

Are you bringing Andrew with you when you come to the Cape in June?...so I can offer him a job?
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Highlands NJ Posts: 6,822
    Kat u are a cool Mom!
    The last of the famous international playboys

You could not ask for more...a great visit that covered so much about New York City. Well done Kathy and Andrew!

Thanks All! Yeah....on the train ride home, Andrew asked me what colleges/universities are in NYC!!! He loved it, and I loved watching his excitement....

iJEK, photo on the way

MikeR-----LET'S TALK!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by katva View Post

MikeR-----LET'S TALK!!!!
    sure......the sooner the better though....he could rent my old bungalow as I havent told them I wont be back yet so its not on the market yet