Pursue your favorite water sports on the calm waters of Grand cul de Sac

wwindsurf club.jpg

Hours and Prices

menu.jpg

Getting pointers from FAB, the expert

pointers.jpg

Sailing away

Sailing.jpg

To access the facility, one can walk down the beach from restaurant La Gloriette, or take the new super highway(entrance below) off the main road past the ugly garage. Go one kilometer, turn left, and park your vehicle before getting wet. Walk down the beach and be careful going over the foot bridge traversing the "inlet."

hiway.jpg

You GO, Tim...

Took me most of a summer (weekends) to learn to windsurf...SUP as a result came much easier...

Unfo, I think I'm too out of shape to try kite boarding...where was that sport 20 years ago when I coulda used it...LOL

I, too, was a poor student when it comes to windsurfing, despite being a water skiing fanatic as a kid. I finally learned to do it fairly well at GcdSac many years past, but I quit completely when the St. Barth Beach Hotel was torn down five years ago. This week is my first effort after my five year hiatus, and I have much to relearn.

There was very little wind a couple of days ago, so I tried a paddle board for the first time and really enjoyed it. Inside the reef protected waters of GcdSac is really an ideal spot for these activities.

Well, I think snowboarding helped somewhat with windsurfing, and vice versa. Funny watching folks on the bay this summer on SUPs....once they realized that they'd been moving so well b/c the wind was behind them, and that it was uphill all the way home.

Good core shoulders arms workout....LOL

Hi Tim,
This new road is news to me! Good news, I think. I just can't picture exactly where it is, as every time we went to PCdSac from the Guanahani to go to Albert's, we had to go out of the Guanahani, drive on the main road, and go down a little dirt road into Petit Cul de Sac. Parking over there was awful, though. Did they pave the little dirt road to Petit Cul de Sac? Sometimes we just climbed around the point past Le Sereno and over the rocks, but that was not always the safest way to go over there. (You can also do these activities from the beach at the Guanahani, but I am not sure about rentals. I know they rent jet skis at the Guanahani!) Stand Up paddleboarding is great and good for people who do not feel very capable of doing windsurf. I love to go around the lagoon at Grand Cul de Sac but if you go out near the ocean, you can get some pretty big waves with a current. I hope to do more in April. The water is pretty placid there. I also look forward to going to La Gloriette again..such a great restaurant! Rhum vanille, here we come!!

The new road goes past an area just east of the Grand cul de Sac estuary. It provides access to the east side of Grand cul de Sac opposite the Guanahani. There was a rough, dirt road there previously.

Thanks Tim, nice pictures.
....the bay there is so pretty---I'll keep it in mind for people who ask.
Looks safer and almost as fun as hiking out and cliff jumping.

Windsurfing is alive and well at GcdSac. Construction continues at a rapid pace on the new hotel just behind the water sports rental facility.

Tim - did you make reservations in advance? After lunch at O'Corail in December, my son was interested in trying out wind surfing, but from the looks of things, some guys were just there to use the equipment. We didn't investigate at all, but curious if a reservation is necessary.

I've never made a reservation. The hours of operation are featured on the sign in the photo above. That doesn't mean they always observe those hours. Tell your son to ask for Fab, the fabulous proprietor.

Tim, I walked down there after our lunch at La Gloriette a few days ago. I was looking for a Hobie rental. The proprietor (I think) said it's too shallow! Even windsurfers run aground on the sand bars, apparently. He suggested Saint-Jean. Impressive construction next door.

There is a also a dive shop (Ouanalao) by O'Corail which rents windsurfers.

Watching a painful-looking kiteboarding lesson from La Gloriette has made me reconsider learning the sport.

One of these years maybe, we want to rent Sea Doos and take them all the way around the island. Has anybody done it and is it worth it? The waves/swells can get big when you are going against them.

Resurrecting this old thread to get recent info on kayaking on Grand Cul de Sac. Does anyone have anything new to offer? Is this outfit still open? New prices? Thanks in advance!