Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Bon Voyage JEK & Mrs. JEK

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,702
    Return day after tomorrow, Sunday the 20th with a few more FF miles that when we began!
    Flights
    Segment From To Distance Translation
    1 IAD LAX 2294 Dulles to LA
    2 LAX AKL 6524 LA to Auckland
    3 AKL SYD 1343 Auckland to Sydney
    4 SYD MEL 435 Sydney to Melbourne
    5 MEL ADL 412 Melbourne to Adelaide
    6 ADL KGC 70 Adelaide to Kangaroo Island
    7 KGC ADL 70 Kangaroo Island to Adelaide
    8 ADL ASP 826 Adelaide to Alice Spring
    9 ASP AYQ 209 Alice Springs to Ayer's Rock
    10 AYQ CNS 1110 Ayer's Rock to Cairns
    11 CNS LZR 154 Cairns to Lizard Island
    12 LZR CNS 154 Lizard Island to Cairns
    13 CNS BNE 870 Cairns to Brisbane
    14 BNE AKL 1573 Brisbane to Auckland
    15 AKL ROT 200 Auckland to Rotorua
    16 ROT CHC 416 Rotorua to Christchurch
    17 CHC ZQN 216 Christchurch to Queenstown
    18 ZQN AKL 647 Queenstown to Auckland
    19 AKL LAX 6524 Auckland to LA
    20 LAX IAD 2294 LA to Dulles
    26341 Total miles
    43864 Total kilometer

Not counting 4 fixed wing legs and a helicopter tour!
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,610
    You are so right to take this kind of trip when you are operating with fully charged batteries.

Well done.

Keep having fun,
    Amy
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Highlands NJ Posts: 6,822
    Then around Feb 7th they should hop on a flight to SBH and cover Carnival!:) ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.
    The last of the famous international playboys

Amy - still feeling like the charge is about 95% after all those legs:) Peter, Susie had a dream about coming home, escaping the cold and going to SBH for a week:)

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,823
    WOW! Milford Sound is spectacular.
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

Susie, you have chosen a great dream and destination to recharge those batteries of yours. Come on down!! You can plan your next whirlwind tour.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 Albany, NY Posts: 2,798
    Those photos are so majestic, very cool. Yes, come on down to Carnaval; your feathers must fly !
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance !

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,048
    Great trip. We met a couple at dinner from Melbourne who come to Aspen 3 times each ski season and thing nothing of the trip. It's all relative. I was in meetings all week with from all over the world the ones from Australia are so used to flying long distances that they think nothing of it.
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 Helsinki, Finland Posts: 7,970
    Any pictures of you fat tyre heli biking? hang gliding? bungy jumping? canyon swinging? :-)

Enjoy the return flights. AirNZ?

The only thing missing was the cape. Well done, mon ami

cape.jpg

Arrived LAX after a 13 hour flight from AKL. Now one more leg of LAX-IAD and we are home! Lovely to come back to the TSA shoes-off, belt-off world. Was even told to remove my hankerchief from my pocket before the atomizer scan. On the good front, Global Entry was seamless and fast. Love that.

What's the state with the shoes off? Random or everyone does it? I haven't seen it happen anywhere else in the world (though I haven't flown through London in a while).

Loved travelling in Asia, most of the stupidity was lacking and everything was smooth without any priority/elite perks.

Everyone and only in the US. UK went back to shoes on a couple of years ago. None of our regional flights had any security in AU and NZ.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,048
    With TSA Pre I feel like I am overseas. Although in LGA they did ask me to take off my winter coat on Friday but it is nice to not have to take off suit coat and shoes or remove anything from my bags.
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

Lots of expansion -- even since we left.
    Q. Where is TSA Pre✓™ available?

A. Certain frequent travelers from Alaska, American, Delta, United, US Airways and U.S. citizens who are members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS, are eligible to participate in this program, which could qualify them for expedited screening at select checkpoints with the following airlines:
    Alaska Airlines – Chicago O’Hare International, Dallas/Fort Worth International, Denver International, George Bush Intercontinental, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Honolulu International, John Wayne, Logan International, Los Angeles International, Miami International, Minneapolis-St. Paul International, Orlando International, Portland International, Ronald Reagan Washington National, Seattle-Tacoma International and Ted Stevens Anchorage International airports
    American Airlines – Charlotte Douglas International, Chicago O’Hare International, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International, Dallas/Fort Worth International, Denver International, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Honolulu International, Indianapolis International, John F. Kennedy International, John Wayne, LaGuardia, Lambert-St. Louis International, Las Vegas’ McCarran International, Logan International, Los Angeles International, Miami International, Minneapolis-St. Paul International, Orlando International, Pittsburgh International, Portland International, San Francisco International, Seattle-Tacoma International, Ted Stevens Anchorage International and Washington Dulles International airports
    Delta Air Lines – Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall, Charlotte Douglas International, Chicago O’Hare International, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International, Dallas/Fort Worth International, Denver International, Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Honolulu International, Indianapolis International, John Wayne, LaGuardia Airport, Las Vegas’ McCarran, Logan International, Los Angeles International, Luis Muñoz Marin International, Minneapolis-St. Paul International, Orlando International, Pittsburgh International, Portland International, Ronald Reagan Washington National, Salt Lake City International, Seattle-Tacoma International, Tampa International, Ted Stevens Anchorage International and Washington Dulles International airports
    United Airlines – Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall, Charlotte Douglas International, Chicago O’Hare International, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International, Denver International, George Bush Intercontinental, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Honolulu International, Indianapolis International, John Wayne, Los Angeles International, Luis Muñoz Marin International, Minneapolis-St. Paul International, Newark Liberty International, Orlando International, Philadelphia International, Pittsburgh International, Portland International, Ronald Reagan Washington National, San Francisco International, Seattle-Tacoma International, Ted Stevens Anchorage International and Washington Dulles International airports
    US Airways – Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall, Charlotte Douglas International, Chicago O’Hare International, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International, Denver International, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Honolulu International, Indianapolis International, John Wayne, Lambert-St. Louis International, Luis Muñoz Marin International, Minneapolis-St. Paul International, Orlando International, Philadelphia International, Phoenix Sky Harbor International, Pittsburgh International, Portland International, Ronald Reagan Washington National, Salt Lake International, Seattle-Tacoma International, Ted Stevens Anchorage International and Washington Dulles International airports
    Building on its initial success, TSA plans to continue expanding TSA Pre✓™ to include additional airlines, as well as airports that participate in CBP’s Global Entry program, once operationally ready.

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Everyone and only in the US. UK went back to shoes on a couple of years ago. None of our regional flights had any security in AU and NZ.
    NZ has no passenger screening for planes less than 90 seats -- and pretty much all the domestic flights are on such a planes. Well planned :)

Sorted down 3100 images, which take 72 GBs on my hard drive, to a slideshow of a few that tell the story. Slideshow

Doing much laundry!

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Highlands NJ Posts: 6,822
    Did you book your Tradewind flight yet? Don't stop now Son!
    The last of the famous international playboys

Quote Originally Posted by Peter NJ View Post
    Did you book your Tradewind flight yet? Don't stop now Son!
    I'm thinking about crashing Andy's Andy's party and I love being called son

We're going for our Global Entry interviews on Thursday. Wish us luck.

FWIW, there was a 30 minute wait in the Immigration line at CLT last night and nobody using Global Entry's kiosks.

Tim, Global entry is a bright spot in air travel. Good thing to do and to have.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    FWIW, there was a 30 minute wait in the Immigration line at CLT last night and nobody using Global Entry's kiosks.
    Is 30 minutes a short or long wait?