Macy's Thanksgiving Parade

Me, as a child of 5 and as a grad student on a foto shoot for a film and video assignment.

The night before go to the location where they inflate the balloons-a fun pre event gathering

Dress warm. Try to make friends with someone with a high apartment window or balcony for a good overview.

Watch the faces in the crowd for great shots. Wear comfortable shoes. Hold tight to little ones.I got separated for about two minutes from my dad and brother-I learned the meaning of terror that day.

me..numerous times as a kid....

get there early...very early

or better yet...get a hotel room with a view...
we did that one year too...that was fun

forecast this year is for pretty warm weather

Thanks, y'all! Unfortunately, Ames, I don't know anyone with an apartment on the parade route. I arrive Wednesday afternoon so viewing the inflate might just happen.

Sofia's with her other G-parents this year, so I won't have to worry about hanging onto her for dear life.

I plan on staking out a spot near 6:00am somewhere on CPS closer to Columbus Circle. I've heard they have to slow it down a bit right there to navigate the circle which will provide more photo time.

I've got my most comfy boots packed along with multiple layers of clothing. I think I'm prepared. Fingers crossed!

One more item about to get removed from "The List".

Three families of us from Texas went to NYC for Thanksgiving a few years ago. Planned to go to the parade. It was cold. Very cold. We voted. Democratic decision was made to blow off the parade and drink Bloody Marys.

Rivertrash said:
Three families of us from Texas went to NYC for Thanksgiving a few years ago. Planned to go to the parade. It was cold. Very cold. We voted. Democratic decision was made to blow off the parade and drink Bloody Marys.

Great minds think alike. This is already my "Plan B"

Sounds like at least one of my prayers have been answered! Thanks, Amy!!

Just scored a ticket to Verdi's Aida at Lincoln Center. NOW, I'm excited!

Dare I say I might have just ... tingled ... ?

The balloons are inflated on 70th St and CPW....immediately south of the Museum of Natural History.....

Woulda bought ya a drink, but I'll be in Princeton NJ with fam....

Have fun. Forecast is for a beyootiful fall day, temps in the 50's..

Missy,
I have no advice on the parade but wanted to wish you a wonderful time in my favorite city (and second fav island...). Please let us know all about your trip when you return. We were planning to go this week as well, but backed out in favor of more unpacking and cleaning. <sigh>
Not sure of the rest of your plans but the MOMA is free Friday evenings, but it can get crowded. The Campbell Apt for cocktails and Oyster Bar in Grand Central are quintessential NYC. Have fun!

mb

JEK said:
What part of town are you staying in? Need some dining tips?

Midtown. Here's my list so far:

Chat 'n Chew (16th/Bway)
Zoe's (Eldridge - Lower East Side)

What are your thoughts on great food, not too schwanky atmosphere, good for solo diners carrying a bag full of photo paraphernalia?

marybeth said:
Missy,
I have no advice on the parade but wanted to wish you a wonderful time in my favorite city (and second fav island...). Please let us know all about your trip when you return. We were planning to go this week as well, but backed out in favor of more unpacking and cleaning. <sigh>
Not sure of the rest of your plans but the MOMA is free Friday evenings, but it can get crowded. The Campbell Apt for cocktails and Oyster Bar in Grand Central are quintessential NYC. Have fun!

mb

Thanks, Marybeth. I'm definitely hitting up the MoMA and the Met. Also have The Morgan Library on my radar.

Thanks for the tip about the Campbell Apt and Oyster Bar...you may see a Facebook Check-in from there. And, Fred....odds are you won't see me in sneakers unless you're up early and in Central Park! Sorry to have missed you both, Fred and Marybeth. Maybe next time...!

StBartFan2 said:
Unless it has moved, I think Fred may have had a typo...it is 77th and 81st streets, right off of Central Park West.

You are correct! Already on my agenda Wednesday evening (thank you, Amy!!)