Chile trip report

LindaP

Senior Insider
1349626137-andes_2.jpg
We finally made a family trip to Chile; and it was awesome!
We flew Albany to Atlanta to Santiago; and our daughter flew Denver to Dallas to Santiago; and we all met up with our son at the airport around 9 am. First though; we had to pay a reciprocity fee of $160.00 each, good for the life of our passports.
And, going through customs, we decided to declare the almond- pine nut cookies I had made; rather than risk the $250.00 fine for bringing in nuts and not telling them. They let us through after asking why we had checked off yes on the form, AND after Xraying the bags on the way out ( a procedure for everyone).

I was surprised to find that Chile reminded me so much of California. The climate, the wineries, the great fresh fruit and vegetable stands the eucalyptus trees lining the roads, the abundance of wisteria trees, and the town near Vina Del Mar, where our son was living : Valpariso, was like San Francisco; with the hills and steps.
We went to a fishing village: Quintay, and stayed at a coastal town one night; Maitencillo; where we cooked artichokes, clams and Chilean abalone.

We had a winery tour of Matetic in casablanca region, and observed their 20,000 + acres, and tasted their awesome wines.

We explored Santiago, and saw the city from the very top of the W Hotel on their ultra cool outdoor bar.

We went to the National Park in Olmeu, and ran from a tarantula (the photo is from our son's camera, not mine!).

Saw great outdoor markets, snow -covered Andes Mts, ate great sea bass, calamari, hearts of palm and avocado salads, and tried to stay away from all the smokers.

The wall art was amazing as were the sunsets.
Our son may return next year; if so, we hope to return also
1349626013-view_vina.jpg
1349626029-sunset.jpg
1349626046-spider.jpg
1349626059-vines.jpg
1349626072-fish_net.jpg
1349626084-family.jpg
1349626097-vino.jpg
1349626107-wall_art.jpg
, as well as travel next time to Argentina. It was an amazing trip and experience.

Attachments

• view_vina.jpg
    view_vina.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 17
  • sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 17
  • spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 17
  • vines.jpg
    vines.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17
  • fish_net.jpg
    fish_net.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 17
  • family.jpg
    family.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 17
  • vino.jpg
    vino.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 17
  • wall_art.jpg
    wall_art.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 17
  • andes_2.jpg
    andes_2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 17
:up: Wow, Linda----what a trip! Thanks for the report and pics. Looks really beautiful! What a really special trip for your family.

Wow! Looks like you had a great trip! Chile is such a wonderful country, we've only seen small part of it (the lake district, Valparaiso-Santiago area) but hopefully one day more of it.

LindaP said:
we had to pay a reciprocity fee of $160.00 each

You do you know why you had to pay it ? (We don't have to pay anything)

Petri, not really sure, why do we?
And what's up with no liquids ( water included) brought on the plane after going through security in Chile?

LindaP said:
Petri, not really sure, why do we?

It's the same amount US charges chileans to apply for a visa (tourist or other type, even if it's denied).

And what's up with no liquids ( water included) brought on the plane after going through security in Chile?

Did you have a intermediate stop on the flight?

LAN has some rules here http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_personas/planifica_tu_vuelo/todo_sobre_equipaje/elementos_prohibidos.html which would indicate that if you have a stop in Peru, that might happen.

I'm not going to even understand the airport security rules, the more you wonder about them the less they make sense. Nor did I argue in North Korea when they didn't let me have my fragrance or sunscreen in the checked baggage :) (beer and water were ok, and they didn't make a difference between checked luggage and carry on)