Anguilla to SBH

leep75

SBH Insider
I'm starting to plan our June 2013 trip and my wife and I have been to SBH twice and absolutely love it, but we also want to try new islands as well. I'm thinking about doing a split trip next year. 5 nights in Anguilla and 3 in SBH. My questions are these:

1. Is there air service from Anguilla to sbh or would we have to go back through SXM?
2. Is the ferry from SXM to Anguilla an easy ride? I assume it is, but have never done it.
3. Any recommendations on accommodations for 5 nights in Anguilla?
4. Would you consider Anguilla safe?

Every year for the past 4 or so that we have been staying 3 weeks, we've thought of going over. Haven't make it yet!
You do have to go through SXM as for lodging we have many experts that will soon opine. Crime is up, but I think it is mostly target among and between family and gangs.

As to #2 I can vouch for that. There is a fast ferry that is as comfortable as there is. AC and all inside seats and refreshments. Here is a link to the Link ferries http://link.ai/

Whats your budget for 5 nights?
In June with some places you might name your own price.
Crime is up.The usual stuff,break ins crimes of opp.Violent crime is gang vs gang.
Ferry every half hour from Marigot.
AF from SBH to AXA is crazy high.
I would say AXA is safe,just not as safe as it was.
If you love beaches and Reggae/Soca you will be in heaven.

There is Anguilla Air that you can take from Anguilla to St Barths.
We were in Anguilla last February.....I felt safe, but as JEK said; there are gang troubles in the areas away from the nicer hotels.
As for where to stay, there are some great places.....but our favorite is Cusinart; mainly because of the location, the staff, the beach, and even their own hydroponic farm.
The people of Anguilla are some of the nicest you will ever meet.

I would switch to 3 days to explore and get a taste of Anguilla and then 5 remaining days to celebrate that you have already found St Barth

we've been to Anguilla a few times and really it like there. we hope to get back there this May with friends.
once piece of advice that I didn't take was,go to Anguilla first and then SBH. There is a small boat/ferry right outside SXM airport that will take you to Anguilla. It's more expensive but is so worth it...and I'm a bargain hunter. If you don't mind smaller boats, it's a great ride,not choppy at all. IMO you can waste a great deal of time taking the taxi across the island and then waiting to get on the ferry. Car traffic going to the other side can be slow.
What are your specifications on accomondations, price range?
Go to KoalKeel for dinner and call ahead and ask for a tour of the wine cellar when you're there. Great place.
Carol

Okay, Amy just informed me that the Koal Keel that I know, no longer exists. It's more of an Indian influence. So you're decision.

If you could tell us what are you looking for in accommodations and what is your budget we might be able to help more?

As for accommodations, we don't need much. We like to get up early maybe walk, then breakfast, then beach for the day. The last two years in SBH we stayed at villa case du roy and case et cuisine so not outrageously expensive, both are very nice in their own way. I'm thinking in Anguilla we may do a resort or hotel since it may just be for 3 nights, since I first posted I recommended 3 nights in Anguilla and 5 in SBH and my wife seemed to like that idea (thanks Amy!)

I agree with Amy,i f it is your first time. Check out the Anguillaforum.com also, trip advisor. You will find all the info you need there......
On Mead's Bay there are several hotels to choose from , and it's a nice area. Like I said, i prefer Cusinart Hotel, just because we have stayed there a few times, and love the beach.

But , Mead's bay is good for walking, there are some great restaurants there, and a choice of hotels: the new modern, Viceroy (great sunset from the bar), or more boutique hotels like; Anacaona or Frangiapani.

Good luck with the search; and I think you may really enjoy the laid back spirit and snow white beaches there!!!!!

I think the 3 day Anguilla, 5 day St Barth is the way to go, but you should take into consideration that while the trip between Islands is a short one, you will lose the better part of a day because you'll have to fly from AXA to SXM, go through Immigration, claim your luggage, re-check it, then go through security and back to the gate for the SXM/SBH leg. You can eliminate a lot of this by going with carry on only, but you're still going to kill several hours at airports.

The trip was a lot easier years ago when Winair had direct flights between SBH and AXA, but now with the stop over at SXM, I might re-think it.

Phil

If you are not fancy but want to be on a beautiful beach and experience a real West Indian Hotel you cant beat this place.Once you see the beach its on you may not want SBH anymore.Plus your time frame you will w/out a doubt get a great rate.

http://anguillagreathouse.com/

Simple self catering condos right on the beach at a reasonable price on Mead's are Carimar and Turtle's Nest. They are great values during low season.

I would spend a little longer in Anguilla if you can. The beaches are wonderful and all different.

We took the commuter flight out of Grand Case and were in Anguilla before lunch. Easy to do. I hear the ferries can be rough. Loved the views from the small plane.

Cuisinart is a bigger hotel than those recommended above. A smaller boutique type hotel you might check out is Frangipani, next to Straw Hat, one of the island's best restaurants. You will find the beachfront accommodations less expensive than in SBH.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the great suggestions. I think now we are going to do a longer stay 5 nights in anguilla and 4 in St Barths. One more question--I assume I would need to rent a car? We will most likely want to explore a couple different beaches per day. Is driving on Anguilla similar to that of SXM?