Literally took all night to download

Obtained the free copy from App Store.. took 45-50 minutes to download, burned a version to the USB stick to install on other machines, upgraded the new Macbook Air.

Not sure I see anything new worth mentioning. Perhaps life will get more exciting after the iPhone 5.. or it will make the PowerNap feature more useful.

I guess I'll install it on the other machines next week, doesn't feel like there's any rush really.

BBT said:
icloud is nice

I'm currently using iCloud just for syncing Safari bookmarks across devices and it's great for that. If I had iPhone, the contacts & calendar & reminders iCloud would be useful, too.

For documents and other data I already use Dropbox and I feel it outperforms the iCloud as it's not limited to certain applications, is supported by all the operating systems out there, and is generally faster to use. I also like it's ability to keep local copies, for example on the iPad I click the travel documents as favourites so that the iPad doesn't require net access to show them.

Not sure if Mountain Lion brings anything new to the table. Mountain Lion's new iCloud feature is the preference to keep documents there but it remains to be seen how useful that really is. Most documents I don't need to be elsewhere. At home connectivity is not an issue, I hope ML doesn't ask for network connectivity if there's none, but when traveling abroad network access can be a problem.

Just a reminder: If you use VMWare or Parallels, update them to the latest versions BEFORE upgrading to Mountain Lion.

Pretty annoying to do afterwards as they will no longer start under Mountain Lion and one needs to download and re-install the full versions again. Presumably no data is lost, just extra work.

Also if you don't run the latest versions of VMWare or Parallels, prepare to pay for the upgrade. Both have been pretty stable for quite a while and the latest versions didn't add much, so one might be running an older version (my VMWare was..).

Better living through technology? Or, just pursuit of profits while confounding a "regular user" whilst racing to the bank and saying "they just don't get it, but it works for us." Sigh.

Anyone can get into a car and use "PRNDL" with an automatic transmission and use a stick shift to do 1-2-3-4-R. Pretty simple standardized interface AND people just buy the add-ons as they please.

I would have disliked to pay for Mountain Lion but I got a license through the new Macbook Air purchase.

I guess we all pay for things as part of our daily lives, to entertain ourselves as a "semi-hobby".. Just can't stay still.

Voosh said:
Anyone can get into a car and use "PRNDL" with an automatic transmission and use a stick shift to do 1-2-3-4-R. Pretty simple standardized interface AND people just buy the add-ons as they please.

Not so simple anymore. 8 speed autobox, bump the shifter to the left to change the throttle mapping and shift points, manual shift it if you want, use the paddles on the wheel if you want. Push it all the way forward? That's Reverse, not Park. Park's a push-button. And then there's the rocker switch, which also changes the suspension, changes the steering response, turns off Dynamic Stability Control, turns on Dynamic Traction Control, and shifts power to more of a rear-wheel bias. It's not your daddy's PRNDL.

1343767048-7686570680_f1832fe667_z.JPG

And now back to your Mountain Lion discussion...

Attachments

• 7686570680_f1832fe667_z.JPG
    7686570680_f1832fe667_z.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 35
Even our little white cheap one has the "same" PRNDS+-..

1343770563-dsg.jpg

Not so many years ago I was test driving a BMW and from the first parking lot had to call the dealer how to engage the reverse. One had to pull the stick up to engage R.

PS. Our car got a new 1.2 TSI last week. At 45000 km, warranty expired this spring, didn't start and after a few days of wondering Volkswagen decided to install a new engine. The "common" timing chain failure that certain examples of these engines have been experiencing.

We had Mini Cooper 1.6 in Spain and it felt totally underpowered compared to our 1.2 TSI. Not much life left for naturally aspired engines really..

Attachments

• dsg.jpg
    dsg.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 36
Yippee Kayyeey! How the fark did I get here through so many roads and still mumble through on this site?

IMHO. Fix that gizmo in the middle of nowhere as the sun sets? Not unless ya know how things work and can talk to "real techs, or KNOW your sh*t," that is if ya can get a connection with a "phone."