Southwest Florida Coast

NHDiane

Senior Insider
We're finally heading to Florida in September for our fact-finding mission. We wanted to get this done last year but never got there. Looking for some suggestions on the following...

(1) We are staying on Sanibel at the Song of the Sea hotel. Any comments on this property?
(2) We will be traveling south from there, along the coast scouting out possible condo units for a future trip in January or February 2013. We hope to get out of NH for at least two weeks in 2013, and if we find the right property, add on to that time frame for future trips. Suggestions/comments on rental properties? Realtors? NOTE: We're taking our cocker spaniel with us...must be pet friendly.
(3) Naples looks appealing and we have received some info on that city already...any other cities we shouldn't miss?

We're going in blind as neither of us have ever been to this part of Florida. Any and all suggestions helpful...restaurants, beaches, whatever.

Thanks!

You should enjoy Sanibel. Unfortunately, not familiar with your hotel. Check out Captiva as well.

As far as rentals go "season" (Jan. through April) may be difficult finding a place for just 2 weeks especially with a pet but a realtor could help. John R Wood, Premier Properties or Downing Frye are all reputable.

If you elect not to stay on Sanibel/Capitiva in Jan/Feb then I think Naples is the spot. Naples offers much more in terms of restaurants, the arts, night spots, shopping etc. I boils down to what you are looking for. Sanibel/Capitiva is more low key than Naples. Let me know if you heading down to Naples in Sept and I can suggest several very good restaurants.

Thanks so much Steve. We're not totally locked into Naples but we thought it would be a good starting point. We do feel that Sanibel isn't where we would want to rent during the winter months.

I have bee doing research on the same thing, including dog(s). What I have found is VRBO
which allows you to check "pet friendly". I came up with several interesting choices. I found a very cute "cottage" on Captiva which allows pets and you can walk to the beach. There were quite a few condos in Sanibel that also would allow pets. There is also a place on Sanibel http://www.thecastaways.com/index.html that is pet friendly. I am leaning more towards Sanibel/Captiva rather than Naples, I think the casual/beach bar atmosphere is what we are looking for. Good luck with your search and let me know how you make out.

Hey Diane - I'm very familiar with VRBO and continue to rent through them for a week with my sis in May. I've had exceptional luck with them. And, once we decide on the area/city we want to be in, I might begin my search there. I have a feeling I'm going to love Sanibel but again, we'll have to see. I appreciate your suggestions..good luck with your search too!

I rent my ski condos through VRBO and I think its a very well run organization...

I got deployed to run a booze cruise boat one winter many years ago out of Ft Myers and just fell in love with Captiva...cannot say enough good about it..Sanibel is nice too..but Captiva is something special

You will be fine they are only expecting 1-3 at most and my bet is they won't get that.

You may also want to check up on the ferry that goes from Naples to Key West. I have never been, but know folks that have and They say its a really fun trip. Rhum drinks and steel drums. Spend a day or two in the Conch Republic.

Have a great time!

I can't even imagine all the seashells that will be washed up. I am just slightly addicted to them, well it's more than that actually. lol

no chance...far too much going on that month

but his name is Joe Miller..ask for him..he can talk a dog off a meat wagon

RichBouker said:
Really? Let's go! The meeting of the minds is in November....

We are typically there for that. Not this year though. I can't see Mike there for that. Too many peeps.

even if I wanted to...I couldnt...ski season start up...hoops start up...and Thanksgiving

my dance card is full

Hi....I lived down the road from Song of the Sea 15 years ago, helped remodel it back then...so it might be showing its age by now. Small intimate property right on the beach, not many amenities besides the pool. Lots of good restaurant choices. Close by are: The Jacaranda, McT's, The Timbers, Randy Wayne White's bar Doc Ford's....The Lazy Flamingo has the best mesquite
grilled grouper ceaser ever...and the hottest "dead parott wings" in the world....I prefer Sanibel and Captiva over Naples....We also love the Keys...Lots of great B&B's and condos..Our favorite is Pier House at the end of Duvall....you can get a great beach front home on North Captiva and really get away from it all--no cars--no bridge, just peace and quiet.....Also worked on the Castaway's property..a bit rougher shape, but..right on the best shelling part of the Island...The Mad Hatter rest. is next door as well as the original Lazy Flamingo....