Southwest Florida Coast

Thanks to everyone for the additional info. We leave this Saturday and I'm excited about seeing the area. A little concerned that the beach might not be up to par with Isaac but we won't be sitting there all day, every day. I will definitely be picking up some shells, however, and I'm betting that the storm will bring in many! We thought we might actually check out Sarasota, Port Charlotte, etc. a bit further north than originally planned. Thanks for the restro suggestions and comment on Song of the Sea. We figured the property wasn't real posh but don't need that at least this trip. Please feel free to chime in with any and all comments and suggestions. Key West isn't on our radar this time.

Just double checked and the Song of the Sea has been recently renovated so I'm feeling pretty good about that!

Hi Diane, we have spent a lot of time in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area since my in-laws are there. If you have the chance, drive over to Boca Grande. I think the toll is $5 now but it's old style Fla. and some good beaches.Not crowded at all. There is a resto right on the beach, towrds the enhd, called South Beach. If you go up to Sarasota, check out Siesta Key Beach. It's free, the sand is unbelieveably white and soft. We base ourselves out of Punta Gorda and go north and south all the time. have a great time and do a report when you return. Looking forward to it.
Carol

Thanks so much Carol. Appreciate the suggestions - we'll be on the lookout for rental opportunities, as well as the atmosphere of many of the areas we will be driving through. We definitely would prefer a more laid back, quieter spot, close to a beach and not a larger, traffic-packed area.

Diane if you are going all the way up to Sarasota check St Armands Circle. Lovely shops and restaurants.

We also love Anna Marie Island. Probably a bit much to swing all of this in for a day but just map it for maybe a future trip.

I have heard/read where there are some good shopping areas in Sarasota. We will have to investigate! Thanks

St. Armands has the best shopping/dining on the West coast....If you happen to make it there, stop in my store, Garden Argosy.....would love to meet you....Ron or Kathie.....

Ron/Kathie - will do! We have arrived on Sanibel and so far so good! Flight on Southwest always a pleasure...no glitches. We arrived in Ft. Myers and headed to our hotel-in our room by 1:30. Small, which we love, on the beach, another plus. A little dated but not bad. It's pretty quiet even for Labor Day and we are thrilled!! We were exhausted when we arrived...only a few hours sleep so took our time this AM and headed to the beach and spent the entire day there. Not spending much time on line - usually don't post anything but hubby insisted on taking this laptop so, of course, I had to check here. I may show up on the Florida forum occasionally while here Other than that, I will be out of the loop until after the 9th.

Sanibel has, not unlike SBH, a certain "energy" that seems to haunt you when you leave it.....probably the spirits of the Calusa Indians that made it their home hundreds of years ago.....many of the small islands around Sanibel in Pine Island Sound are really "shell mounds" where they disposed of the mollusk's shells that they ate. Some are burial grounds also....I have explored many of them long ago and can still feel the "spirit" from them...Sanibel was my first stop when I ran away from the midwest and I parked it there for 15 years..Best therapy ever!