American Airlines Flight 70

firstcharter

SBH Member
Dennis (debo),

Would it be possible to find out why American Airlines flight 70 from DFW to FRA
on Saturday, July 7, 2012 departed close to its Scheduled Time, but was nearly 2 1/2 hours
late on its Arrival Time?

Was it a weather delay on arrival or was it diverted?

We will be on that flight in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Patrick

Fight pushed off gate at 3:30..2 mins early but did not get in the air until 5:50..I was home in St Louis but I know things got nasty here yesterday..gust front from some nearby thunderstorms caused windshear at DFW which shut arrivials and departures off for a couple of hours..I was told it never rained a drop at the airport but they had windshear alerts going off like crazy and that caused the probelms...
Dennis

If you are referring to the Air Florida crash, it was Washington National and the failure of the crew to properly de-ice the wings.

Edit- DFW- duh- is not Dulles.

Yes..Delta had an L-1011 crash on final approach into DFW around 1984 or 1985, cant remember exact year...windshear was the cause...The airlines and the FAA dont mess around once windshear alerts are recieved now days..they shut down approaches and departures...

I flew on he same approach IAD-DFW the day after the crash. The debris field was horrible and one huge fuel tank had the top flattened like a fedora that someone stepped on. Still think about it on that approach. It was August 1985.

Yes, there are those moments that stay forever imprinted on your mind. Very sad image, John.

I was at work at DFW that day..I was working for Braniff then and our dispatch office was at DFW...It was a horrific scene as you can iamgine..Other than the tragic loss of life the tail of the plane snapped off and sat in that field for days after the crash..Every week when I fly back down here from St Louis and we land on that runway it brings that day back..

Dennis,

Could you find out why American Airlines flight 70 from DFW to FRA
today (Saturday, August 18, 2012) was cancelled?? :(

Thanks,
Patrick

There's a ton of publicly available information that you can look at, including months of history on the flight.

From FlightAware.com:

92 flights out of DFW were cancelled today. The next highest airport was Houston, with 7.

78 flights into DFW were cancelled today. The next highest airports were MIA and CLT, with 7 each.

DFW is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 19 minutes.

Tomorrow's AA71 from FRA to DFW has also been cancelled, which makes sense, as the aircraft operates back and forth on that route. (It's always nice to know where your inbound aircraft is coming from.)

Wunderground.com reports that .46" of rain has fallen today. The forecast for the remainder of the night is "Showers and thunderstorms continue to move across North Texas through midnight. Some storms will produce locally heavy rain which will result in flash flooding. Motorists are urged to exercise caution. Winds gusts over 40 mph and frequent lightning will also accompany some of the storms."

Weather radar out of Texas is full of green, orange, yellow, and a bit of red - rain, up to and including heavy rain.

I'm guessing that Debo will tell you that the flight was cancelled due to weather.

Kevin,

I use FlightAware.com all the time.

We were in the DFW area yesterday, and am very aware of how much rain there
was yesterday and at what time is was raining.

This flight had a scheduled departure time of 3:35 PM, a few hours
before the storms arrived.

Hopefully Dennis will have the correct answer.

Thanks for you post. :cool:

Patrick

Sorry to be late to the dance here but Im currently enjoying 5 weeks off and have been home in St Louis since the 17th,,,I did a little digging and found out that flight 70 was cancelled due to a lightning strike the aircraft sustained. It was removed from service for inspection...